Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
very, very nice playing and very nice invention (how much does it cost?) , have you thought to make a similar arrangement to allow a reed to be played on a flute? Kohlert has such a gizmo in the past.

I se that you done this already, the only " problem" is that the connection tube would beed to be curved.

I am interested in both " gizmos" , how about thalikn price here?

the fipple headjoint that I have bough from Martin is really a lot of fun. The sound is reminiscent of a recorder and it is definitely a nice addition to one's flute

Distinguished SOTW Member
the fipple headjoint that I have bough from Martin is really a lot of fun. The sound is reminiscent of a recorder and it is definitely a nice addition to one's flute
Is that the straight one or the bent one ? I've just bought one from Martin via eBay and am looking forward to getting it.

Rhys

I got the bent one, made of two metals (copper and something else) , plum wood and carbon fibre.

Maybe the straight one is better acoustically but I don't think it would have been better ergonomically.

The straight one looks uncomfortable because you have to stretch your arms quite a bit (which would enhance the problem which I will have to solve of needing two thumb rests of some sort, Martin doesn't seem to have addressed this problem yet while Maarten from the flutelab has

http://www.flutelab.com

he has addressed this problem in his own way (but I would like it to be ever so slightly more elegant, perhaps also in some fruitwood?)

another video from Martin and his fipple, I am enjoying mine very much

selmer 26 nino, 22 curved sop, super alto, King Super 20 and Martin tenors, Stowasser tartogatos
Milandro, how is playing up in the 3rd octave?

I am afraid that I limit myself to two octaves at the best of times on flute or recorder with the occasional overblown note here and there. I am not the best person to comment on the extension of the instrument really. I have been playing it also relatively little because this is a very busy time of the year for me and I I get half an hour of practice time a day I tend to use most of it to practice a bit of saxophone.

I don't think Martin has gone forward with the production of those straight fipples which probably are easier to make

selmer 26 nino, 22 curved sop, super alto, King Super 20 and Martin tenors, Stowasser tartogatos
Martin seems to be an excellent player, and the sound is really quite nice. But at the end of the day a fipple with its fixed jet configuration has serious disadvantages as compared to a normal embouchure, which is the main reason that flutes knocked recorders out of the baroque orchestra.

yes, but a lot of fun nevertheless ,besides it offers also a different sound which is similar but yet different enough from the flute to justify having bought it.
It is not a massive investment after all!

the sound of the first 3 octaves is always very pleasant:)

I have a question for Martin. Some time ago you had more videos up and among them there was one with a fipple for a piccolo flute what happened to it and have you ever made those fipples past the prototype?

the sound of the first 3 octaves is always very pleasant:)
Sounds very good. Seems like the only thing really missing is a good piano up high.

Registered
I contacted him and bought one of these last year (I've always struggled with voicing the flute!) and it is very good. I'm still struggling to find a good solution for the thumb-hook though. I bought a metal clarinet thumb-hook but I'm having problems fixing it on adequately.

I liked the system on kymarto metal shakuachi but it would require some soldering I was thinking of making something with sugru

A good thumb-rest would maybe the snap on thumb-rests that Susato sells for their whistles and recorders.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts