Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, about 6 weeks ago I separated with my common law. I'm staying with my mom in her Condo and there is a very strict no noise policy.
To date I've been playing as quietly as possible facing my little closet filled with clothes. Back of the closet is lined with a moving blanket, top of the closet is stuffed with pillows. This has done the trick but playing so quietly is not embouchure friendly and I'm biting the reed down constantly in order to keep it quiet enough.

I ordered a Clearsonic Isopac J through my work (Long & Mcquade). I set it up tonight and it's a no go:( My sax is still far to loud and it does not dampen the sound nearly enough )
This has lead me back to a whisper room.
I'd look at this one. -----> https://whisperroom.com/model/mdl-4848-s/
This is only a standard unit and I'm wondering how much sound reduction it will offer? I'm not willing to buy this unless I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'll be able to play at full volume without our neighbours hearing. I'm also wondering if it's to heavy to have in a condo? We have basic wooden floors, I don't want this thing falling through the floor!

Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all of the prompt responses guys!
- To the one question, in a few months when I get my own place it will also be a condo & I will have the same issues.

Given that I currently have this Clear sonic booth standing in my living room, I thought about mcgivering it so it's more suitable to my needs.
First I'll move it into my bedroom so I'm in an enclosed space (Right now its in the living room with a direct channel to the front door and the sound travels down the hallway.
Second, I'm going to wrap the exterior with moving blankets, as well as drape a moving blanket over the roof. It may get extremely hot in there, and airflow will be a bitch BUT that should quiet things down exponentially. The interior of the booth is superb, very good acoustics.

If that doesn't work I may mcgiver my closet a little better, instead of dropping $5800 canadian on a whisper room. It sounds like a whisper room may be quiet enough for me.

I've also been using a loaner otto link 5* with 4H reeds. My mouthpiece was being re-faced. My refaced to 7* link + 3H reeds will allow me more control and I should have an easier time playing quieter and can continue to work on and improve my breathe control.

I'll keep you guys posted.

I appreciate everyone's help thus far!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Day two of working on the booth after coming home from work.
Got it moved Into my bedroom, sacraficing all of my space accept computer desk, & bed. I'll need to hang my clothes in the living room off a rack as I have zero access to my closet now.
It looks like I won't need to wrap my booth in moving blankets (Thank god, that would be so hot in there) I'm simply going to put moving blankets on my back wall which is connected to the neighbours wall. And a moving blanket over my bedroom door to further trap the sound in my bedroom, that will do the trick! I'll finish things tomorrow after work & then I can finally start practicing again!
- Not sure if it's to loud for me inside of the booth, I'll need to spend a little time in there. If it is I'll order a few more soundproof panels for the inside. This has been a process and a half.. If you saw a photo of my bedroom you'd laugh! Honestly though if it means I can play again I couldn't be happier:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I should post an update:)
I moved the Sound booth into the bedroom. I then covered all walls / + closet with Moving blankets:) - I drape moving blankets as well over the door to my bathroom and my main bedroom door.
Final touch is that I hang a moving blanket over the front door to my condo. I also placed a folded moving blanket on the roof of my booth for extra dampening. Works great! I can play as loud as I like without any issues. I have a nice fan in there to keep things cool whilst practicing.

It doesn't look fancy & I lost access to my closet. Clothes are hanging in the living room, but I can play!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts