Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, about 6 weeks ago I separated with my common law. I'm staying with my mom in her Condo and there is a very strict no noise policy.
To date I've been playing as quietly as possible facing my little closet filled with clothes. Back of the closet is lined with a moving blanket, top of the closet is stuffed with pillows. This has done the trick but playing so quietly is not embouchure friendly and I'm biting the reed down constantly in order to keep it quiet enough.

I ordered a Clearsonic Isopac J through my work (Long & Mcquade). I set it up tonight and it's a no go:( My sax is still far to loud and it does not dampen the sound nearly enough )
This has lead me back to a whisper room.
I'd look at this one. -----> https://whisperroom.com/model/mdl-4848-s/
This is only a standard unit and I'm wondering how much sound reduction it will offer? I'm not willing to buy this unless I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'll be able to play at full volume without our neighbours hearing. I'm also wondering if it's to heavy to have in a condo? We have basic wooden floors, I don't want this thing falling through the floor!

Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,799 Posts
a very radical and expensive “ solution” for your problem.

The “ noise” reduction will be declared from the maker , but even the best of isolating chamber will always have some residual noise outside which may fall under the category of volume at “ TV on level” or “ conversation level”.

Whether this qualifies as acceptable for you and your mother ( and the rest of the people in the condominium) is something that you will have to see.

3Db reduction means half the quantity of sound .

Any ventilation means that some air will escape and air in motion carries sound, you can’t lock any air intake because you will not survive long in there otherwise. Any communication by contact with the floor will also transport some sound. Maybe very little but it will be there. The people living directly under the chamber will experience some noise. Of course you may have this mounted on wheels.

Also, playing at full volume (whatever that means) may not be very good for you, I have tinnitus I know what I am talking about, you can of course use ear protection, which will make you play even louder.

Even a Whisper room is designed to block more the sound from outside getting in rather than to block a full blast of sound going out

The secret is always to play softer, even when acquiring any sound reduction device .

Play softer comes with experience you will not need to bite anywhere to play softer when you learn to do that.

Anyway, do consider a portable mute.

They work.

Provided that you will use the headset that is ( inside most have a microphone) which allows you to mix music and to HEAR yourself when playinng , rather more softly that full volume, from inside the device.

The reason why most people are not happy with these is that they want to use this in the wrong way, which is without playing softly, and without the headset, so you play even louder that you need to, to hear yourself through the mute, the noise which will be cut will be mostly in the low frequencies but the high will be perceived by anyone else in the house (maybe not in the next apartment) .

Other problems are build up of moisture and the weight ( I have had one and it seriously gave me problems that’s why they invented a stand for this thing).

Anyway, you can rest some space in a place of business after closing hours and nobody will be bothered, but if you expect to play, in the middle of the night and your mother not to hear you or the other people I would not be so sure.

On a different note, I have never heard the expression “ common law” used to describe a partner ( which I understand from the context)

There are lots of videos but they don’t show the situation where you will be using this

The company uses a ridiculous demo where one plays an acoustic guitar and they show the noise reduction, yes, impressive, except that if the guitar had been electric or a saxophone, with the door shut you will still hear the noise and pretty loud too

·
Registered
880 Posts
I've owned one (4x6, single-wall) for about five years now and it has been by far the best investment I've ever made in music-related gear, because it has allowed me to practice regularly and comfortably. It allows me to play at any time of day or night without bothering my wife or my neighbors. Before I bought it, I was living in an apartment and I had spent two years trying, like you, to practice into a closet as quietly as possible.

I wrote a little about it in this thread.
The sound reduction is pretty dramatic; when playing at full volume you can still be heard outside of the room, but it will be at something like low-to-normal TV volume levels.

If you get one, you should also get some sound absorption panels for the inside of it, to reduce internal sound reflections (I've got 6 2-inch thick 2'x2' cotton-core panels mounted in mine, in addition to the provided foam panels).

Regarding milandro's concerns, I use closed-back headphones and a microphone in mine to protect my hearing and control the sound level that I hear (and to add reverb, practice with play-along tracks, etc.) but I can play as loudly as I want to.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
1,994 Posts
Can we assume living with Mom is a temporary solution for you? If so, why not look for practice space in which to play? Perhaps a local college or JC has practice rooms you could utilize, or even local music stores that provide lessons? These solutions would be less costly and less permanent.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I feel the same as mmichel. It was the best investment in music gear I ever made because I could practice whenever and as long as I wanted. It also has the advantage of removing distractions so that you really concentrate on your music. I have the double wall unit in my house and I would say if you were standing outside of the Whisper room it would be about as loud as a television. Standing outside the house you would not hear me at all. If you can afford it and you live in a condo I'd recommend the double wall.

·
Registered
880 Posts
If you can afford it and you live in a condo I'd recommend the double wall.
Alternatively, if you decide to get the single-wall model and later find its sound reduction capabilities insufficient for your requirements, you could always just order the extra pieces to upgrade it to double-wall later.

Personally, I find the single-wall model's sound reduction capabilities sufficient. I now live in a (detached) house, but when I first got the WhisperRoom, I was living in a walk-up apartment with plaster walls and neighbors below and adjacent to the room where I set it up. I frequently practiced late into the night and never got any complaints.

Besides the increased price, the two disadvantages of the double wall model are the increased weight (e.g., my model, the 4260, weighs about 700 lbs. in single-wall configuration and 1200 lbs. with the double walls) and, for the smaller models, the reduction of space (you lose about 4 inches of floor space in each direction after adding the inner walls).

·
Registered
880 Posts
Also, FWIW, the sound reduction capabilities listed by the manufacturer (for the single-wall model) range from a low of 29 dB at 125 Hz (the fundamental for a low C on tenor) to 52 dB at 4000 Hz, with higher frequencies being even further attenuated.

That's equivalent to a roughly 30 - 300 fold reduction in sound amplitude over that range.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Aren't these also pretty darn expensive as well?
Yes, they are.

However, I've got several horns that are worth as much or more than mine. Replacing every one of those horns with a $400 student instrument would do significantly less harm to my playing than would losing my WhisperRoom.

In any event, the OP is aware of their high cost.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the six foot by four foot and there's enough room for me and some recording equipment even with the double wall. But these do weigh a lot by the nature of their function. The room comes packed in boxes stacked on wood pallets. You're going to have a lot of cardboard to deal with so plan for that. You will definitely need someone to help you carry the pieces inside. It really does require two people to assemble it especially when it comes to putting the ventilation on. They used to use straps but now they are held by screws that come in from the opposite side of the ventilation boxes. Keep in mind also that though they say these are portable they do take some time to put together and take apart, like a good part of the day. And the times that I moved I'd either get a friend to help or hire someone because you need a truck to move these. So you can move these but it's a time consuming task. Still the single wall version wouldn't be as much work but I still recommend the double for saxophone. But as mmichel pointed out you could always order the inner walls later. Local community colleges often have practice rooms that are often empty at night so that's a possible alternative as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,283 Posts
Hey guys, about 6 weeks ago I separated with my common law. I'm staying with my mom in her Condo and there is a very strict no noise policy.
To date I've been playing as quietly as possible facing my little closet filled with clothes. Back of the closet is lined with a moving blanket, top of the closet is stuffed with pillows. This has done the trick but playing so quietly is not embouchure friendly and I'm biting the reed down constantly in order to keep it quiet enough.

I ordered a Clearsonic Isopac J through my work (Long & Mcquade). I set it up tonight and it's a no go:( My sax is still far to loud and it does not dampen the sound nearly enough )
This has lead me back to a whisper room.
I'd look at this one. -----> https://whisperroom.com/model/mdl-4848-s/
This is only a standard unit and I'm wondering how much sound reduction it will offer? I'm not willing to buy this unless I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'll be able to play at full volume without our neighbours hearing. I'm also wondering if it's to heavy to have in a condo? We have basic wooden floors, I don't want this thing falling through the floor!

Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback.
I understand. But you can get a lot out of blowing into a closet filled with clothes, etc.
For starters, I suggest you control playing softly/volume with the air stream...instead of chopping down on the reed. :) THEN consider more sophisticated ways to dampen the sound.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Here are the specs for the box you linked. https://whisperroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/MDL4848S.pdf

A tenor sax can play as loud as 100 dB. So according to the attached chart the Whisper Room is going to knock the sound down by somewhere between 29 dB to 52 dB depending on the frequency or pitch. Assuming an average of 40 dB, your Whisper Room will reduce a 100 dB sound down to about 60dB. According to what I looked up online ( because if it's on the internet it is the truth ) it would reduce the sound from the intensity of a car horn (110 dB) to that of normal conversation (60 dB).

Not bad. Is it worth $4300+? Having read some of your previous posts I'd say, for you, yes. The alternative is to go to a park somewhere and practice inside your car. Or find a music shop or community college that will rent a practice room to you. I assume you could rent a lot of practice time for $4300. It's up to you to decide. Hopefully your living situation is temporary and you find a place of your own where you can play as loud and for as long as you like. Good luck.
https://science.howstuffworks.com/question124.htm

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all of the prompt responses guys!
- To the one question, in a few months when I get my own place it will also be a condo & I will have the same issues.

Given that I currently have this Clear sonic booth standing in my living room, I thought about mcgivering it so it's more suitable to my needs.
First I'll move it into my bedroom so I'm in an enclosed space (Right now its in the living room with a direct channel to the front door and the sound travels down the hallway.
Second, I'm going to wrap the exterior with moving blankets, as well as drape a moving blanket over the roof. It may get extremely hot in there, and airflow will be a bitch BUT that should quiet things down exponentially. The interior of the booth is superb, very good acoustics.

If that doesn't work I may mcgiver my closet a little better, instead of dropping $5800 canadian on a whisper room. It sounds like a whisper room may be quiet enough for me.

I've also been using a loaner otto link 5* with 4H reeds. My mouthpiece was being re-faced. My refaced to 7* link + 3H reeds will allow me more control and I should have an easier time playing quieter and can continue to work on and improve my breathe control.

I'll keep you guys posted.

I appreciate everyone's help thus far!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. If you search the web you can find sound proofing material you could drape over your booth, might work better than moving blankets, and a lot cheaper than a Whisper room. Hope it works out for you. Whisper rooms are great and really do work but it's a big investment and the portability aspect is kind of a joke. You can't just fold it up and throw it in your car trunk. There are cheaper sound reduction booths out there but how well they work I don't know. I've been in a position similar to yours and finding a place to practice was indeed a problem. However I was living close to Stanford University and I solved my problem by going to their practice rooms and asking the guard to let me use one which they always did. Nobody else was using them, that's for sure. It didn't seem to matter at all that I wasn't a student there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Day two of working on the booth after coming home from work.
Got it moved Into my bedroom, sacraficing all of my space accept computer desk, & bed. I'll need to hang my clothes in the living room off a rack as I have zero access to my closet now.
It looks like I won't need to wrap my booth in moving blankets (Thank god, that would be so hot in there) I'm simply going to put moving blankets on my back wall which is connected to the neighbours wall. And a moving blanket over my bedroom door to further trap the sound in my bedroom, that will do the trick! I'll finish things tomorrow after work & then I can finally start practicing again!
- Not sure if it's to loud for me inside of the booth, I'll need to spend a little time in there. If it is I'll order a few more soundproof panels for the inside. This has been a process and a half.. If you saw a photo of my bedroom you'd laugh! Honestly though if it means I can play again I couldn't be happier:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I should post an update:)
I moved the Sound booth into the bedroom. I then covered all walls / + closet with Moving blankets:) - I drape moving blankets as well over the door to my bathroom and my main bedroom door.
Final touch is that I hang a moving blanket over the front door to my condo. I also placed a folded moving blanket on the roof of my booth for extra dampening. Works great! I can play as loud as I like without any issues. I have a nice fan in there to keep things cool whilst practicing.

It doesn't look fancy & I lost access to my closet. Clothes are hanging in the living room, but I can play!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts