Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...by a middle school jazz band? Oh I think yes!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzmMN6c7jg8

Here are the other recordings of my middle school jazz band from a jazz festival this past Friday. Opener is "Summertime," 2nd tune is "All of Me," and the closer is "Whiplash."

Summertime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sv6qj79qr0

All of Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfnjYn_toTQ

Whiplash is at top of post

Let me know what you think! In case you're wondering, average age of the band is 12 (oldest kid is 13).

·
19,061 Posts
Dave, pretty good sounding band particularly for middle school kids. Also, a big THANK YOU!! for keeping this music alive and going in the school. Lots of respect for you in exposing these kids and others to this style.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
1,001 Posts
That's great! Well done. And yes, thanks for keeping this music alive. I trust the rehearsals were a bit less dramatic than J.K. Simmons'.

·
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave, pretty good sounding band particularly for middle school kids. Also, a big THANK YOU!! for keeping this music alive and going in the school. Lots of respect for you in exposing these kids and others to this style.
Thanks so much! I have these kids listening to/playing so much music throughout the year...it's really awesome.

That's great! Well done. And yes, thanks for keeping this music alive. I trust the rehearsals were a bit less dramatic than J.K. Simmons'.
Thanks! Don't worry, they're a little different.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Guitar and saxophone
420 Posts
Impressive! A big thumbs up to you and them!

·
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I meant, what sort of background do they all have, musically speaking? When did they start playing? Rich kids, poor kids? It's more out of curiosity than anything else.
Basically for the majority of them, they started in 4th grade (this is 6th-8th). Also, the town is pretty well off so a lot of the kids do have a private teacher. The big thing is that the kids buy into everything I tell/give them, and they are REALLY into it. Always coming to me asking if I've heard this recording or that, etc.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
The big thing is that the kids buy into everything I tell/give them, and they are REALLY into it. Always coming to me asking if I've heard this recording or that, etc.
That's a true blessing, right there. I'm not a teacher, although someday I hope to teach a studio of my own, but I've rarely ever been able to find music students who were actually passionate about the craft. Many who loved to talk about it but very few who actually were willing to do the work. Apparently it's different where you are, which is truly a great thing!

·
6,862 Posts
Great! Really lucky kids! My son is in grade 5, so he's done a couple of years on violin and is starting band next year. The expectations are so low, way below what the kids could manage if somebody cared.

·
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's a true blessing, right there. I'm not a teacher, although someday I hope to teach a studio of my own, but I've rarely ever been able to find music students who were actually passionate about the craft. Many who loved to talk about it but very few who actually were willing to do the work. Apparently it's different where you are, which is truly a great thing!
Along with finding kids who are passionate, do your best to show your passion and guide them towards that. Most of the kids weren't passionate about music when I started here- it's been a process, but I've got them in a good spot now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts