Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which Used Clarinet To Buy For 1400 €

Hey Sax-people, :)

I'm searching for good used clarinet for 1400 € for doubling in Big Band!
Any ideas, models, types?

Thank you!:mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,460 Posts
Re: Which Used Clarinet To Buy For 1400 €

With a budget like that your options on the secondhand market are very very many. One question has to be are you sure you want to spend that much for an instrument that you will only be using to double?

Anyway.

First of all since you are in Croatia, a country where many play German System clarinets, are you playing Böhm system or German System clarinet?

Since the majority of players around the world these days play Böhm clarinets, I am assuming you may go for one of these.

If you take a look here

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdisplay.php?428-Clarinets-For-Sale

You will find the listings for clarinets. Many of those qualify as professional and many more are “ Good Used Clarinets” which is what you say is your wish to buy.

many models of Buffet, Selmer, Leblanc, are all within reach of your budget and you shouldn’t have too many problems in acquiring a good one.

Personally I’d go for Selmers because you can buy a great series 9 or 10 at a very good price because for some reason they are less appreciated than say Buffets.

In my opinion clarinets are these days extremely undervalued when bought secondhand and you could take your pick and shop around at leisure.

I have occasionally bought and sold clarinets but lately I have not done that because the market is really depressed ( which is really good news if you are buying).

Good Luck!

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts

If you are doubling then you want an instrument that functions very well. You are unlikely to have the expertise to "play through" problems, and that is a pain at the best of times.
Many if not most second hand top-brand clarinets are in a somewhat sad state, from a long period of neglect or from substandard servicing, or even just crap ("birdsnest" is the apt term used by Clarnibass) build-up where the tone hole undercutting is.
So why are you so keen on a used clarinet?

I suggest getting a new student Yamaha and spend some money on a highly regarded mouthpiece that enhances the instrument and will not let you down, eg Selmer S80 C*. Add to that, getting it straight away or soon after, adjusted by a tech who really knows what he is doing, because it will likely may have some venting issues and poor sealing for the pads that are normally open. These are easily corrected, and then you have a darn good, very reliable instrument, and your audience will never know that it is not a flash wooden this or that.

Being old and made from timber adds the possibility or even probability that quite major work is needed. IMO the snob value is not worth the risks of going down this path as a doubler.

Use the money you save for another pleasure, or a flute (Yamaha student model!)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,358 Posts

I've posted this before, but obviously not everyone reads (or remembers) every post . . . A few years ago, I bought a new Yamaha German System clarinet (YCL 457, which I THINK is a student-level instrument) from The Netherlands. It turned out to be poorly made.

Specifically, the felts and other cushioning materials within the keywork quickly broke down, the intonation was wonky (even before the cushioning material failed), and now it sits in my closet with a spring so weak that the lowest note on the horn won't function.

Yes, of course, I could have it all fixed, but what a disappointment. I realize that many Yamaha instruments are well made, but not all of them are.

A while back, I bought a new Buffet E-11 (the German-made model) from Kessler-Las Vegas and it was a superb player - and still is. I also read where the French-made E-11's weren't to the same quality as were the German-made E-11's, so that could be a consideration for anyone looking at the E-11 line.

Like was posted above, I'd think that 1400 euros could result in a number of great used clarinets like Buffets and Selmers, or even Yamaha's higher models. DAVE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts