Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which to pick - Yamaha YSS675 or Yanagiswai S-901 ?

Looking to do an internet purchase of used soprano - which is better choice :

Yanagisawa S-901
or
Yamaha YSS-675 ( My understanding this is successor/equivalent to YSS-62)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
You'd need to try both to decide which you like better. On the 675--I believe that the 675 is a two-neck model while the 62 is an attached neck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I think the 675 is a dual-neck soprano, also. The 901 is a fixed straight neck model. I agree that in the used market, it would be wise to play-test both models before buying one of them (or none of them).

But generally speaking, I MUCH refer Yanagisawas over Yamahas at any level of marketing - and, yes, I've owned both brands - many more Yanagisawas than Yamahas. And, I still have one of each brand in my family (sopranos). AND, I once owned an S901 - a very nice soprano. DAVE

·
Banned
566 Posts
both very good soprano's,and completely different from each other because of the interchangable necks on the YSS-675 yamaha and the one piece straight yanagisawa 901 soprano.
maybe best to try in person if you can rather than buy online before testing,as they are completely different saxophones.
is there any saxophone shop close at hand you can get to to do this?
good luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
I think the 675 is a dual-neck soprano, also. The 901 is a fixed straight neck model. I agree that in the used market, it would be wise to play-test both models before buying one of them (or none of them).

But generally speaking, I MUCH refer Yanagisawas over Yamahas at any level of marketing - and, yes, I've owned both brands - many more Yanagisawas than Yamahas. And, I still have one of each brand in my family (sopranos). AND, I once owned an S901 - a very nice soprano. DAVE
Hiker, listen to Dave. He has more experience in sop land than most anyone I know.

FWIW, of those you list, I, too, would go with the Yanagisawa. I have owned several Yanagisawa sops (Selmer, Conn, Buescher, and Borgani too), but never played a Yamaha that I wanted to keep.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
FWIW I played a whole bunch of Yani sops next to a few Yamahas, and of all them that I tried, my favorite was a Yamaha 475. Everyone has different tastes, so you can't really base your experiences off of someone on the Internet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
FWIW I played a whole bunch of Yani sops next to a few Yamahas, and of all them that I tried, my favorite was a Yamaha 475. Everyone has different tastes, so you can't really base your experiences off of someone on the Internet.
What was it that appealed to you?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
What was it that appealed to you?
Well it was nice and responsive throughout the range, and had a good medium-bright tone. It was more that I just didn't get along with the Yani sops for whatever reason. I couldn't get any time color out of them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Every saxophone stands on its own . . . most models will vary among themselves. I'd cite examples but I've already done that in numerous threads over the years. Suffice to say that when one finds one example of a certain brand that plays exceptionally well, that does not mean that all examples will be of the same playing quality. There are exceptions on both ends of the play-quality issue.

That's why I originally posted in this thread that the OP should test both models he was considering before making a decision. Look, most currently produced saxophones, especially from the top manufacturers, will most likely be good players. It then becomes a matter of degrees of satisfaction.

I'll assume that Christian1 meant that he couldn't get any TONE color out of the Yanagisawas he'd played. I could say the very thing about the Yamahas I'd played. It is probably more about the player than it is the saxophone - and again, I've cited examples of that in other threads. DAVE

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Every saxophone stands on its own . . . most models will vary among themselves. I'd cite examples but I've already done that in numerous threads over the years. Suffice to say that when one finds one example of a certain brand that plays exceptionally well, that does not mean that all examples will be of the same playing quality. There are exceptions on both ends of the play-quality issue.

That's why I originally posted in this thread that the OP should test both models he was considering before making a decision. Look, most currently produced saxophones, especially from the top manufacturers, will most likely be good players. It then becomes a matter of degrees of satisfaction.

I'll assume that Christian1 meant that he couldn't get any TONE color out of the Yanagisawas he'd played. I could say the very thing about the Yamahas I'd played. It is probably more about the player than it is the saxophone - and again, I've cited examples of that in other threads. DAVE
Yes, dumb typo on my part! That was my point as well; the OP needs to try them to determine which is best for him/her.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I own both a YSS675 and a S901. Both are great, but here are my thoughts on the differences:

Necks: The YSS675 has removable necks which is important for some people. Personally, I prefer a straight neck on soprano so this is no issue for me.

Sound: The difference isn't huge, but personally I have a slight preference for the sound of the Yamaha. To my ears the YSS675 is just a bit more weighty and powerful sounding and has a slight grittiness in the low register that I like. By comparison the Yani has a lighter, purer sound. It's hard for me to describe, but I'd say the Yani is a little more flute-like and I could see it being the better choice for a classical player. The difference isn't huge, but that's what I hear. Both sound great though!

Weight: The Yamaha is noticeably heavier. I like to play sop without a neck strap, and find the Yani easier to manage on a long gig.

Key layout: Both are great, but I prefer the Yani.

I hope that helps. The best advice is to try them both for yourself if you can!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Both are very good choices I think you'll be with either one, so as everyone suggest try to play them to make your own opinion! Especially considering that soprano are delicate beast, so you see if there are some things and ajustement needed to the horn.

As for the weight, this is an important point for Sopranos. I play a heavy Selmer Serie III soprano, and the weight is something that takes a lot of time to be comfortable with, as contrary to the other saxophone the weight of the soprano is not on the neck/shoulder.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Re: which to pick - Yamaha YSS675 or Yanagiswai S-901 ?

Looking to do an internet purchase of used soprano - which is better choice :

Yanagisawa S-901
or
Yamaha YSS-675 ( My understanding this is successor/equivalent to YSS-62)
That is not my understanding. Well, yes, chronologically, it came after the YSS-62. The YSS-675 was a total redesign for a different market. The YSS-82z was a revival and update of the YSS-62 design.

There have been a number on YSS-61s for sale on eBay at very good prices, especially compared to the YSS-62. The primary difference being the lack of a front F on the YSS-61, but there were other refinements too. There are mixed opinions about how close the YSS-61 is to the YSS-62 ranging from nearly identical to totally different horn. It?s worth consideration if the YSS-62 is your standard but out of your preferred price range.

·
Banned
566 Posts
hahahahahahaha.one can only laugh now!
anyways,both saxes are very good and both are completely different ,doesn't make any difference if you spell them yami or yani.
peace.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts