Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been a jazz fan been for many years and a hopeless sax addict, but now ready to turn my addiction from listening only to playing! I love the sound of a tenor sax and looking to buy my first/beginner tenor sax.

Given that my first & foremost priority is to ensure that I have the best chance to learn to play the sax ... what type would be the most suitable ... a Yamaha YTS-32 (I have an opportunity to buy a early 1980s in a good condition) or one of the newer ones (a used CE Winds or Phil Barone) ... my budget is around US$800.

I am specifically excluding vintages due to the potential ergonomic issues for a total novice.

Many thanks in advance for your input.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
Yami 23 you mean? go for it if it's in good condition, these horns play well and age well (develop a nice tone, and keep their value) IMO.

Welcome to the Forum BTW!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,167 Posts
(a used CE Winds or Phil Barone) ... my budget is around US$800.

I am specifically excluding vintages due to the potential ergonomic issues for a total novice.
For that money I think you could get a new bauhaus walstein tenor, a great horn with a great big classic sound (practically pro quality) , without the possible hassle of second hand.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I'm not a Yamaha expert, but isn't the 32 the European version of the 52 -- "intermediate" rather than "beginner"? If so, they have a very good reputation.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I believe its a yamaha 23, and thats a good starter horn whether new or old. well, if its old, you might want to check if its been taken care of, hopefully its not like destroyed and all green at the bottom(i've seen a yamaha 23 like this before)

Oh if only you lived in an area near Orange County, California. B/c theres a shop there in Anaheim, they have their own line of student horns, which to me, play like the best student horns. but since, most likely, you're out and around somewhere i dont know, probably the yamaha 23 is your best bet.

have fun learning

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have confirmed ... as mentioned by retread, its a YTS-32 (& not YTS-23) ... an European version of yts-52. Since no one has made any comments on CE Winds/Phil Barone ... do I take it that the yts-32 will be a better choice? Though I must admit that I'm partial to a shiny new one, I guess "ease of playability for a beginner" will have to take precedence over resale vaue etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,610 Posts
Make sure what "good condition" means. I bought a couple of saxes in so-called excellent condition that still needed hundreds of dollars of work. (New pads, etc.) That said, the Yamaha sounds like a good choice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,083 Posts
You're in Australia. If you were shopping new, I would recommend a Barone, but that not would be within your budget in Oz. Can you get Bauhaus Walstein there? That would be worth checking out. If you can get the Yamaha or a used Barone or CE Winds for your budget of $800 US, they would all be worthy candidates. But have them checked out by a tech or a knowledgeable sax-playing friend to make sure there's no serious problems. And consider adding $200 to the price to put the horn in top set-up condition.

and +1 to what al9672 and artstove said

·
29,167 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I would definitely recommend a Barone over a Yamaha, but that is comparing my Yamaha alto to a Barone tenor, so take that for what it's worth.
I believe that the Barone would have a bigger and richer sound than the Yamaha in my opinion. I believe my Barone Vintage is better than a fellow horn player's YTS82Z but I haven't spent a considerable time on his or compared them side to side.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,083 Posts
That's a lot of money for a set up!
Maybe I was thinking in Australian dollars. :) Or SF Bay Area prices. Or just trying to allow a lot of headroom. But you're right, that is high.

·
29,167 Posts
Maybe I was thinking in Australian dollars. :) Or SF Bay Area prices. Or just trying to allow a lot of headroom. But you're right, that is high.
Ah yes, just checked 200 Australian dollars is £116.

I'd expect to pay £10 - £40 over here foe a basic setup/tweak. But actually, if we are talking about BWs, they come already checked out and set up so unless there is shipping damage I wouldn't think its necessary unless you need a more "personal" set up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,610 Posts
SF Bay Area is definitely pricey. I used to think it was just housing, but since techs have to pay for housing, too, repad/overhaul prices seem to be up there, too.

·
Registered
520 Posts
my bad, well, i didnt play a tenor 32, i've played a bari 32, and i loved the sound of it, really phat sound. im not sure if the sound holds true to a tenor. but the feel of a 32 plays really well, so i can make a guess that a tenor 32 is pretty good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts