Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering which saxophone everyone would recommend for a college marching band? This will be my first year in a college marching band, but I have been marching for all four years of high school. I want to march tenor, but I don't have one that I can use. I marched tenor this last year, and I loved it. I want to continue to march tenor but I have no idea what is a good tenor for marching band. I thank you for your help.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yamaha YTS-23. You can get them pretty inexpensive, they have a good enough sound, and are pretty bulletproof.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Any tenor that is good is going to be good for marching band. Now if you ask if you should take a good (read expensive) instrument to marching band, that is another question that will depend on how you value your money and your horns.

I would say a nice student/intermediate yamaha for example would serve you well. But you have other brands that are solid instruments to perform and don't be to sad with scratches and bumps. Also, buy second hand, preferably.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to also use the tenor in their university band. Which is there concert band. I forgot to add that to my post.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I want to also use the tenor in their university band. Which is there concert band. I forgot to add that to my post.
Your budget might also help, if you want a more specific recommendation.

Like kreacher said, you can technically march with anything. Personally I wouldn't take anything nice or expensive. However, that might be a bit difficult if you want a one size fits all horn. When I marched, I always had two horns. Partly because the marching horn usually needed to head to the shop when I hit concert season, and partly because I didn't want to take a nice horn out on the field or in the stands.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
What brands does the director of said college marching band recommend? Some colleges/universities will have horns available for students to use during marching season.
Check that option out before beginning the quest for a marching horn.
The YTS-23 is probably the most widely available but there are other older horns that are equally qualified. An old Bundy is also a sturdy option. THOUSANDS of those old work horses have survived the rigors and abuse of marching season.

·
Registered
648 Posts
With that budget you might be able to get a used YTS 23 like robbieg suggested and have +2000$ to buy a nice horn for concert band. Twice the horns, twice the fun and no worries about having a nice horn in the field.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was also thinking just marching alto because I have mine from fifth grade. That being said I was thinking about upgrading it. Would there be a mouthpiece and reed set up that will help produce a better tone?

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
You can probably use the same horn for both bands, if you get one that not only is rugged, but also has good intonation and a nice warm voice. But you may want to consider using different mouthpiece & reed combinations, so that you'll have plenty of projection in the marching band but a refined tone in the concert band.

I want to march tenor, but I don't have one that I can use. I marched tenor this last year, and I loved it.
This is a little OT, but I'm curious: Is this the current idiom that students use to explain which instrument they play in a marching band? "I march tenor." So musicians also might say, "I march flute" or "I'd like to march tuba"?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I emailed them and I haven't heard back yet. The university is western Illinois if you want to look. I personally didn't find anything.

·
Registered
681 Posts
This is a little OT, but I'm curious: Is this the current idiom that students use to explain which instrument they play in a marching band? "I march tenor." So musicians also might say, "I march flute" or "I'd like to march tuba"?
I used to refer to it that way when I was in High School in the late 90s.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I emailed them and I haven't heard back yet. The university is western Illinois if you want to look. I personally didn't find anything.
Just a suggestion, when dealing with people who work at colleges it is a lot of times better to call than email.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
What brands does the director of said college marching band recommend? Some colleges/universities will have horns available for students to use during marching season.
Check that option out before beginning the quest for a marching horn.
The YTS-23 is probably the most widely available but there are other older horns that are equally qualified. An old Bundy is also a sturdy option. THOUSANDS of those old work horses have survived the rigors and abuse of marching season.
Exactly. Some Leblanc Vito tenors were the Yamaha YTS-23 (I think) and they are hundreds of dollars, not thousands.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Exactly. Some Leblanc Vito tenors were the Yamaha YTS-23 (I think) and they are hundreds of dollars, not thousands.
A lot were 23s, I think some were 21s, but yes the Vito, the made in Japan ones are made by Yamaha or Yanagisawa, are a great value as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been looking at saxophones and I found a sax that I like but I don't know the quality. it's a sax Dakota which I might just use for concert band. I also asked the director if I could borrow or rent a sax for marching band.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I've been looking at saxophones and I found a sax that I like but I don't know the quality. it's a sax Dakota which I might just use for concert band. I also asked the director if I could borrow or rent a sax for marching band.
What you really want is two different horns. Spend $500 - $800 on a horn for marching - used YTS-21/23, Bundy, vintage King or Conn, etc.. The ergos don't need to be great as marching music is rarely technical and the intonation just needs to be passable. No matter how careful you are you can't control the environment you march in. Band mates in bleachers, mother nature, and the guys loading and unloading the band bus or equipment truck are not going to treat your expensive horn with any sort of care.

Spend the other $2000 -$2500 on a horn for concert band; lightly used YTS-62, Yani T901, etc..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts