Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I think about buying a vintage Tenor-Saxophone. I would prefer a warm, smooth and dark sound. What's your opinion about these:

Buescher Aristocrat Series I,
Conn Chu Berry
(especially those two: Conn and Buescher)
Keilwerth Toneking
LeBlanc (i.e. this one: http://www.saxquest.com/product/vie...c-model-semi-rationale-tenor-sax-sn-294-P1419)

Have you played one of these/ compared them/ have any other idea of a similarly sounding horn?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,249 Posts
What do you play now?

Mouthpiece selection has the most profound affect (assuming a solid concept and ability of the player).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick response!
I only play alto (Keilwerth SX90), at the moment. The next step after buying a tenor would be (of course) to choose a fitting mouthpiece, I've thought about an open Morgan or even an wooden mpc.
The Tenor in question would be my first tenor. I am however quite experienced with altos (not a beginner).

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,804 Posts
Mouthpiece selection has the most profound affect (assuming a solid concept and ability of the player).
I only play alto (Keilwerth SX90), at the moment. The next step would be (of course) to choose a fitting mouthpiece, I've thought about an open Morgan or even an wooden mpc.
What mouthpiece do you use on alto?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
On my Alto it's a Selmer Spirit 210, which I use with hard reeds (like La Voz "hard"). It is not perfect to my mind.
I would rather prefer a bigger tip opening and more space inside the mpc.

Althaugh I am thankful for every comment you leave, it's probably unrewarding trying to deduce the tenor I want from my current alto setup.
I just thought some of you may have some experience with those saxes and could give their opinion about how they compare.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
At one time, I owned both a Conn New Wonder (I) tenor and a Buescher 156 Aristocrat tenor .... They both sounded great, with the Conn being just a little nicer (for me). Really, a very similar sound from both of those horns. The Buescher was a little easier to play, took a little less air, etc., but had one key that was very stiff (on the LH pinkie table). The Chu Berry should sound virtually identical to the New Wonder I ... For that reason, I would highly recommend it. The Buescher or the Conn ... either one should be nice if they're in good condition. I have no idea regarding the other two models.

I didn't find the Conn or the Buescher to be fussy about mouthpieces, but others certainly have.

Turtle

Btw, I'd highly recommend horns from SaxQuest ..... Those guys really know how to set up saxophones. That original silver Conn New Wonder they have looks like a winner ... plus a video, which sounds amazing. Good luck!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I can't speak about the Keilwerth or Leblanc, but I have a Buescher series I Aristocrat and a Conn 10M (similar to a Chu - actually have a Chu in the shop now and its pretty close to my 10M). I used to play the Buescher as my main tenor and later switched to the 10M (now I use a VI as my main but still go back to the 10M occasionally). I personally liked the 10M over the Buescher because it better suited my playing: had a louder, fuller sound with less resistance and tonally was closer to what I wanted and was more free blowing for me. I always dug the warmth of the Buescher though, to me it was definitely darker than the Conn. Based on my experience with the two (using the same mouthpiece), the "warm, smooth and dark sound" you're looking for was more characteristic of the Buescher than the Conn.

·
33,249 Posts

·
33,249 Posts
Sorry, not yet. I bought it in America and shipping to Germany might take up to about a month.
Wishing you many distractions in the meantime then!

We look forward to hearing of your pleasure with your new horn.

All the best to you and yours,

George

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Made a good choice :) I personally prefer Bueschers over Conns. Find them more mouthpiece friendly, and easier overtone series :)

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Cheap, ugly, old, American garbage. Aren't those student horns? Wasn't built well to start with and will probably fall apart just due to age the first time you try to play it.

Looking at the pictures I can also see that no one has even bothered to replace the old lacquer and buff out the scratches. Ok, someone's slapped some new pads on it, but would you look at those resonators and springs? They should have been removed long ago and put in the garbage - replaced with modern wavy resonators that cover the WHOLE pad, not just the middle of it, and replaced that gold-plated screw-in garbage with modern stainless springs. The only mouthpiece/reed setup that even begins to play in tune is a no-baffle piece with a tip opening equivalent to a Meyer 2, requires custom reeds made from tongue depressors, and will make you sound like you are playing with a rag stuffed in it. This is not to mention that you'll never be able to find anyone to work on it.

For that money, you could have had yourself a brand spanking new and shiny saxophone from China that comes with all the stuff you really need to play great, like some white gloves. Those white gloves would make you look very cool indeed playing it, the horn would be very shiny, would at least look like a Selmer, and you wouldn't embarrass yourself in public playing on an old, crusty, geezer of a horn that takes a gorilla and two monkeys just to press the low C# key.

No one I know would be caught dead playing some geezer Buescher in public. You should immediately find some unsuspecting parent of a grade school student that's looking for a horn for his kid to use in a marching band and unload it on them, or consider making a lamp out of it.

:joker:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
That one looks like it could possibly be an old well-done re-lacquer no? Didn't Buescher do the engraving through the lacquer after it was applied?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts