Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I want to get an inexpensive tenor quickly, and wanted some quick opinions comparing these ones I've found on the web. Thanx in advance (gotta rush out for a job):
Kohlert 460 Tenor Sax $500 from musicians friend
cecilio $300 from ebay kkmusic (blue!)
woodwind and barrington from wwbw.com $429

p.s. I'm a "pro" but only need it for a song or two every month or so. I don't want to spend any more moola than I HAVE to, and as long as it's in tune, sounds decent, and will hopefully last a few gigs, I'll love it!! I've been fairly happy with my used $25 yamaha alto that lasted about 3 years (key went wacky during sunday's gig, and I might not be able to fix in time for my canada tour coming up next week!).

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
THe Chinese are making leaps and bounds. Used YTS-23 area an amazing value and the Kessler Customs are a good horn if you dont plan on it being a total warhorse.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Maybe he should troll his local lake for a Selman...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
bodacious said:
Hi all,
I want to get an inexpensive tenor quickly, and wanted some quick opinions comparing these ones I've found on the web. Thanx in advance (gotta rush out for a job):
Kohlert 460 Tenor Sax $500 from musicians friend
cecilio $300 from ebay kkmusic (blue!)
woodwind and barrington from wwbw.com $429
Among those and without trying I'd go for the Woodwind. Taiwan-made. I've never played one but there used to be several pleased reviews on wwbw site sometime ago which now unfortunately got lost (not just for this model). I also remember one SOTW member raving about his black nickel one.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,671 Posts
Kohlert!

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,671 Posts
Look at the sale section here! I saw a post on a decent Kohlert tenor from Europe recently!

·
Registered
44 Posts
HMMM about the WWTS tenor

thejoyofsax said:
Out of your 4, go for the Woodwind.
I can't find it anywhere??? What kind of pads does the WWTS tenor sax have. Hopefully leather with metal resonators???
Who has one and has looked????

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
I highly recommend not using any of these horns. Get a used YTS 23 that will last thirty times longer than the rest. This horn will sell for $500 decently used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts