Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm a bit fed up with buying all different kind of reed so i just want to buy a 25 pack and use them for a while. I just don't know what strength to get because all the comparison charts seem to be telling me something different.

I'm currently using rico jazz select unfiled 3h but those are a bit too soft, I also have some blue vandoren 3,5 which are too hard. What strength of the rico's is the right one? 3,5 or 4?

·
14,440 Posts
Have you tried adjusting those Vandoren 3.5 reeds? I recently bought a box of #3 Vandoren ZZ for soprano (trying to match reeds with a closer-tipped mouthpiece than I normally play) and they proved to be too hard. So, I shaved them down and they came into playing shape. In retrospect, I should have bought a box of 2.5, but at the price of reeds these days, I worked with the 3's. DAVE

·
3,875 Posts
I'd 4's most likely. But I've only seen them in 25 packs. You might want to buy a 3 pack of 3.5's and if they feel too soft then you can decide if you want to invest in trying 4's.

Or, you could try a box of Rico Royal 4's. They should be exactly the same strength wise as the plain Rico's. Just to make sure you got the right strength before sinking money into a box of 25 that may be unplayable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts