Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, (not sure if this is the right sub-forum to post this topic)

I am now looking for a digital recorder to recording my playing and listen back to. So that I can improve myself.

I am checking the website and find the following model may be fit to my needs and budget.

http://tascam.com/product/dr-08/

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/

They are of similar price level.

do you have any info about them? Or which one would be better for saxophone recording (with piano)?

Thanks

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have an H2 and I really like it. No experience with the Tascam so I can't compare for you. But for the money, the H2 is truly a safe investment.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The biggest limit here are the microphones. Honestly, the Zoom ones sound bad. Tascam might be slightly better. I have yet to hear a recording done with a Zoom that sounds good.

I dunno what you want to spend, but I'd get something that has phantom power and then you could use your own microphones. I still use an old Marantz recorder that records on Compact Flash, and it has phantom power and I can choose whatever microphones I want and the placement I want as well. So, a recorder that has phantom power so you can, at some point, upgrade it with a better set of microphones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,388 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had a Zoom H2 (until it died) and then got a Zoom H1. I can't speak to the quality compared to a Tascam but I feel that, for $100, the H1 does a great job at recording at most volumes and a good enough playback that I use it for exactly the same thing you are planning to.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Look into the Yamaha POCKETRAK C24. Its mics have an omnidirectional pickup pattern as opposed to the others being discussed which have cardioid patterns. The omni pattern means no proximity effect: increased or decreased bass according to distance of mic to sound source. Proximity effect can change sounds drastically.

I have not personally used one, but have read nothing but rave reviews on this model. I have owned a Yamaha Motif6 synthesizer for over 9 years. I have broken the keys here and there, even bent the frame - but it always works & sounds stunning.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/recorders/pocketrak_c24/?mode=model

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,249 Posts
I have been using a Zoom H2 for 1,5 years. Fantastic sound quality, especially if you set the recording quality to 44,1 kHz/24 bit, easy to use. For editing, use Audacity (free) for Windows or Amadeus Pro (40 USD) for Mac. This is even better than Audacity.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have an H2 and think it sounds fine. Not great, but certainly does the job. If you don't need anything that is portable you might want to consider a Snowball by Blue. It is a USB mic and I think they sound great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been using the Olympus LS-10 for a couple of years to record my band rehearsals and live performances. It costs $200, but is an excellent stereo digital recorder. There are several reviews online for you to check out. Bought mine at Guitar Center. You can insert an 8 gig memory card, gives you recording levels and the downloads are of CD quality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts