Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am in the market to buy Soprano, I don't know which one to buy from the aforementioned two saxes?

I already own Mauriat 66RUL Tenor and know the quality & sound very well ... I played a True Tone Tenor and loved the sweet tone from it.

Soundwise I'm looking for a open yet sweet sound and easy to play keywork.
Suggestions please??

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
If you can find a Series III or IV TT, then I'd suggest that, but I'm biased and don't mind the funky spatula. If you're swapping back and forth from a Selmer-based keywork (the Mauriat) and an earlier Buescher you're going to get more than just a little frustrated with the spatula keys of a Series II or earlier horn, and may not like the fact there's no articulated G# on the TT at all regardless of vintage.

That said, it can be added.

·
8,588 Posts
Pretty sure that wasn't the OP's question, but it is an interesting observation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
Big thing about Bueschers is that the keys will seem teeny if you're not accustomed to vintage sopranos. Any modern make is going to have the large pinkie spatulas, palm and side keys that meet the hand. For whatever reason, vintage sops went for more pleasing proportions rather than bigger keywork.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I guess it is because I am SO used to vintage and modern (as an example, my '28 TTs compared to my Yanagisawa S992) that I have no trouble whatsoever playing one, putting it down and playing the other. In fact, I did just that last Sunday at my regular gig. I brought a '28 TT and the S992 and played them both during the same tune - many times.

To answer OP's question - I have played a few PM's (mainly at the NAMM Show a few years ago) and I own two straight TT's from 1928 (those have the roller G# design) and have owned and played other TTs and Conns and Kings. I MUCH prefer the TTs over the PMs. But there are some modern sopranos that are comparable to my TTs - mainly Yanagisawas, in MY opinion. DAVE

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Pretty sure that wasn't the OP's question, but it is an interesting observation.
Yep = Ive owned a Serie II for 15 years and played Serie III and IMO they suck compared certain Taiwanese models. I am assuming Mauriat, given its reputation and the fact that the OP already has one would be an outstanding choice.

·
8,588 Posts
Yeah, pretty much depends on which way your bias flows. Mine's pretty obvious.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Woah!
That's some awesome suggestion
TT is the winner here :)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
If you can find a Series III or IV TT, then I'd suggest that ...
Id prefer a Taiwanese Soprano like a Mauriat over a Selmer Soprano any day of the week.
Yep = Ive owned a Serie II for 15 years and played Serie III and IMO they suck compared certain Taiwanese models.
Note the TT following "Series III" in maddernma's post. TT, not Selmer:

·
8,588 Posts
Yeah, there is that. :) I wondered where that comment came from.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts