Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just a quick update that I purchased an oTTo Link Tone Edge #7 (0.065) from Junkdude for $50. It is very easy to play and offers good control over so entire range of the horn. Having played tenor sax for years, I still need to get used to that tiny little itsy bitsy mouthpiece, though (more difficult to seal it off with the mouth).

I'd still prefer a metal mpc but I don't know if it would make sense to spend more money on a mpc than the actual soprano cost :D

One thing is for sure at this point: having played the soprano for just a few weeks now, I love it already and intend to "step up" to a pro sop horn as soon as my funds allow.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
The Link is a great piece for soprano, you'll love it. I'm currently sold on the JJ DV but the Link is my 2nd favorite.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,231 Posts
Giganova said:
Having played tenor sax for years, I still need to get used to that tiny little itsy bitsy mouthpiece, though (more difficult to seal it off with the mouth).

I'd still prefer a metal mpc...
OK, I'll ask... Why do you want a metal 'piece? They tend to be even smaller than their HR equivalents. If you think the Otto Link HR is "tiny little itsy bitsy", wait 'til you mistake your metal piece for a toothpick.

Amen on the Barone Vintage. I've a 7* that is going back into service now. I've had a couple over the years, given them to friends that tried and liked them so much that I caved. I think this is my third one. It looks amazingly similar to the old style Bari that Jon Van Wie opened to .068". Both play very well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
Gig DrG'S right stick with HR. I also play tenor. I'm having a hell of a time wrapping my mouth around my metal piece.It is so small. It must have been made for Carb's chipmunk.

·
1,306 Posts
It's just real hard to find a good soprano mouthpiece design that is metal. Of course, that depends on your sound concept. If have to have metal on soprano, it's easier if you have a Kenny G/Nelson Rangel sound in your head. Otherwise, there are, quite frankly...significantly better designed hard rubber mouthpieces available for soprano. You will learn to play a rubber mouthpiece...it's just a matter of getting used to the feel.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,231 Posts
There are metal sop mouthpieces that are not Dukoffs or derivatives: the Selmer metal - basically a classical mouthpiece in metal and the Barone Hollywood are two models that I have owned and played for some time. These actually had good tones and were fairly flexible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
Dr G said:
There are metal sop mouthpieces that are not Dukoffs or derivatives: the Selmer metal - basically a classical mouthpiece in metal and the Barone Hollywood are two models that I have owned and played for some time. These actually had good tones and were fairly flexible.
I agree, the Selmer Metal sop mpcs are extremely flexible. The Yani metals are nice too if you want something a little brighter.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Dr G said:
OK, I'll ask... Why do you want a metal 'piece? They tend to be even smaller than their HR equivalents. If you think the Otto Link HR is "tiny little itsy bitsy", wait 'til you mistake your metal piece for a toothpick.
Good point I haven't thought about before. I think I better stick to the Otto Link HR mpc, which I like a lot anyway.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,212 Posts
...to make a soprano sax mouthpiece seem huge, just play oboe for a while. When you go back, the sop seems MASSIVE>.

·
13,483 Posts
The other night I was trying out various sop mouthpieces in a read through rehearsal for the local outdoor concert band. I was reading the oboe book as the oboes don't care to play outside (I don't either).

I usually play a C* but wanted to try out a couple different pieces which had been rattling around in the case - a Rousseau SJ7 and a metalite M5. Playing characteristics aside, the C* had a patch on it and the other 2 were bare. The C* felt like it always does, which is pretty comfortable. The metalite was similar to the C* but it felt a bit odd, might have been the surface finish of the piece, material or lack of a patch, but it felt like plastic. The Rousseau was physically larger than the other 2 and quite comfortable. For a new player, the size of it might be an asset.

All 3 of these are larger than the Runyon custom I use on my other soprano, which has a MOJO treatment on it and plays great, other than its small size leading to fatigue issues.

Each of these pieces plays differently, this was just a comparison of physical size and feel, nothing else.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Big Honking Metal Sop Mpc...

In my quest to find the right sop. mouthpiece, I decided to get a little whimsical. I've got a Link coming, but decided to give one of those cheap metal Selmer knockoffs from eBay a try.

I got a silver Selmer clone for alto a few years back and it turned out to be a wonderful piece. The soprano piece was a little different. It looks like they took an alto piece and just shorted it and made the table a little narrower. This thing is so huge that a ligature made for a Dukoff tenor piece works just fine on it. I think the picture below is really an alto. Just imagine that piece, but shorter.

I had to sand the table to get it flat and worked on the rails and tip a little bit too. It's supposed to be gold plated but I think it is just brass with lacquer. The lacquer seems to have kind'a messed up the tips and rails. That's why I did the fine sanding to get them even and true. And it's good that's all I had to do, because I'm really not any good at any further mouthpiece work. The work I did actually looks pretty good.

After the work, the piece plays pretty well and the intonation is good all the way up to the palm keys. It's surprisingly clean sounding, but far darker than a Selmer SS. Very easy-blowing too. That's what I'm after. Right now, I figure this will be my main piece until the Link shows up. I may try a small roll-over baffle in it to see if I can get a little more "complicated" sound. Not bad for $25.00.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,074 Posts
Over the years I have used Metal Selmers, HR Selmers, HR Links and for the past year I have been using (as many others here) a Selmer Super Session for Soprano. Plays big without a lot of work and the intonation is good.

·
5,528 Posts
Just got in the Link STM for soprano. I'm sad to say that the hand-worked Selmer clone is beating it hands down.

The Link has a little better response. I figure that is due to the smaller chamber. Overall, the sound is way too bright, though I do like the harmonics. If I played with electric guitars and drums, this would probably be my baby after I worked out a few intonation issues. But I usually play with other woodwinds, piano, organ and voices in a church auditorium. Cutting through too much is usually my probably there.

The Selmer Clone is way darker and I love that. The intonation is way better than the Link, especially in high register. My only problem now is the palm key response. With the clone, I have to move my lower jaw way out, like playing altissimo, to make the palm keys respond. This sucks, but I figure I can work it out with practice.

So far the $25 Selmer knockoff is beating both the Selmer SS, and Link STM for a good dark tone. And it matches the SS for intonation. And for a tenor player, the hulking size of this metal soprano monster feels very comfortable.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Which Selmer clone do you have?

·
5,528 Posts
Giganova said:
Which Selmer clone do you have?
It has no name on it. Most don't. The pic above is from the eBay auction. Like I said, I think that's a pic of an alto piece.

Here's pics of my piece beside the Link STM:

The name of the eBay seller is Maestrocase. The really nice silver one I got a few years back for alto was from MusicalWheels. MusicalWheels does not offer the soprano version.

·
5,528 Posts

·
1,228 Posts
Giganova said:
Good point I haven't thought about before. I think I better stick to the Otto Link HR mpc, which I like a lot anyway.
If you like the HR Otto Link you can make a better deal buying a Yanagisawa HR. I have both mouthpieces and the Yani seems to be an Otto Link clone but far better made. Prices change also.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,074 Posts
I have a Yana original HR and it is very nice BUT they are pretty expensive at around $120 discounted. I get them from new horn take-offs for about $65 and they make an excellent upgrade for most horns.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts