Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the saxpics.com comparison page for SML is empty....

so im leaving it up to you guys!!!

...famous for their BIG large bore sound

Which one has the best tone...playability...keywork...and intonation????

....okay you can include which one looks the best too :)

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
It all depends on what you mean by best.

The one I had I really liked. I showed it to a couple of (pro) colleagues. One said of it, very nice but lacking in character, another thought it sound identical to their MKVI. I'm not sur which model, I think it was quite a late one without rolled tone holes.

I played quite a few early ones, and all very nice (though not what I would call big large bore sound) but it was in the days before people really bothered too much about what model horns were. One of my students had a tenor, but she got rid of it in favour of a MKVII which I and she soon realised was a big mistake.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
I haven't played any early ones but can tell you that the Standard I had (a Rev. D without a few features) was very close to the various GMII stencils (Reynolds, King Marigaux) I've played. I think there are very few differences in the last 3 decades of production, certainly the same tube and mechanism.
All great SATB horns, but they are not big bore. These sure have a big bottom (sound.... and bow/bell) and are heavier than most other French made brands from the same era (post WWII) but smaller bore than Beaugnier, Dolnet or German makes like Kohlert/D&J.
Yes there are sonic differences, at some point I had two excellent GMII altos 10 yrs apart which had a noticeably different tone. I hope you can find one you like -- sweet horns!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy...I was expecting/waiting for you to chime in...which ones have you owned???

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've played on a Rev.D which had the best low end ever. Once had an early GM. II which had a smaller bore (the neck weren't interchangeable) but larger bell. It wasn't playable though.. The action felt a little better on the GM.II but only minimal. Intonation was ok on the Rev. D but the action and altissimo restrictions (compared to other horns) were killing me..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.