Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

I would like to know people's opinions of these mutes. Could you tell me the mute you have and the pros and cons?

I know quite a bit about the E sax (I think this is the original, the first and Japanese-made version?) And then there's the Sax Partner which apparently is a Chinese copy of the E sax? (Correct me if I'm wrong) and I've also heard of the Vibes mute which I think is an advance on the E sax?

Basically I'd like to know which ones have best sound reduction and which one have volume control because I remember someone saying the E sax didn't have this and it was a problem.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
I personally have a Sax Partner one and it sucks. The mike for the headphones distort the sound on any setting, and makes all on the Low notes gurgle, or turn into overtones. A terrible product IMHO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,595 Posts
I have an E-sax. It is not the easiest thing in the world to use but it is the best thing to use if you have to practice in a saxophone unfriendly environment.
First of all it is imperative that you already know how to play softly and therefore that you practice by using the headphones because you will play softly , better if the headphones (ditch the standard ones!) have an independent volume control since my model hasn't got a volume control for the headphones output.

I also use it, if and when I rarely use it, with the reverb setting.

The lower notes are problematic, especially with small chambered mouthpieces. It is possible to reach a better result by using a larger chambered mouthpiece and by relaxing the embouchure for the lower notes (a bit as one would do to compensate a leak) or to put something (the Chinese copy has a strange gizmo to do exactly this) in the bell as some people do to compensate for a gurgle. I have found that a golfball is working very well indeed and that I can play reasonably softly with one in it and still achieve the low notes.

The problems with these products are not so much with the product itself but rather with the fact that woodwinds need to be played without anything constraints it unlike brasswinds which can have and always had mutes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
The Chinese copy had that but it didn't work, still gurgled and warbled down low. And I never tried a large chambered piece, but my Phil-Tone MeYer did have the chamber slightly enlarged but not that much so I'm not really sure about the large chambered thing...

have you had any luck with the large chambered pieces Milandro?

·
41,595 Posts
I have the Japanese one and the gurgle is there is you don't put anything in the bell, larger chambered mouthpiece and golfball is the way, the Chinese " copy" has a special gizmo to solve the low notes gurgle

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was looking for some info regarding ways that will allow me to play whenever i feel like playing, so i ended up watching this professional video demonstration
:):):):):)

·
41,595 Posts
well, the dance move do it all........anyway this is the typical sound of the saxophone mute played WITHOUT the headphone (in other words you are playing too loud and are still VERY audible) while if the player/dancer had played by recording himself and the playalong through the built in mike, he could have played a lot softer, he could have played this loud without the mute............

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the Vibes-Sax Partner and have no problem so far but the gurgles sometimes...

cheers,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, guys,
I am now standing in front of the same notorious problem of choosing a sheath for muting my sax sound.
I have some basic understanding about sax, I can extract the notes and I do know a scale and can play simple etudes.
However what I need now is those exercises with playing one note very long, playing it soft-loud-soft-loud... i.e. to shape a sound :)
And my apartment is not suitable for all this, because sound proofing is terrible! Renting is also problematic, btw, because of tight time and difficulties to find a place: usually various musical teams just reserve everything for a while ahead!

I'd like to hear some more responses from sax mute users... Unfortunately, I have no possibility to try it myself: they are not sold here and I will have to order abroad in internet shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
From all the posts here they seem very similar. Many people say that electronics may be a bit better in Chinese one. But the main question is, which one does the better job at silencing the sax ?
Anybody got the chance to test both - Sax partner and E-Sax ?

I searched for this answer rather extensively, but still, nobody yet compared these 2 saxophone silencers directly, side by side...
I really need the answer, since I am going to buy one.

So, which one dampens the sound better, e-sax or sax partner ???

Thank you.

·
41,595 Posts
tried them both at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt and they are, to any practical use, identical (which is the reason of the legal battle that has been spilling over at the trade fair too a couple of years ago, when the Sax-Partner booth was virtually closed by some authority (they put a curtain so that you could enter the booth but not see the things while passing by).

again, the only way to profit from the sound reduction is to use the headphones (a lot of people forget or disregard those and then play too loud to hear themselves playing inside the mute!) while playing softly.

This is the main reason why a lot of people are not satisfied with any of the two mutes and you find plenty on the second hand market (mostly altos).

The dissatisfaction comes from improper used mainly from beginners who can’t play soft and are screaming inside the less than comfortable and heavy mute (my neck problems were seriously enhanced by this, I recommend the use of the stand if you must use this mute at all).

Frankly, I much prefer to play quietly ( if you must, stick your horn in a clothes cabinet, it is not a joke, try it, it really works!)

I’ve sold mine (and I’ve bought it second hand........ there are always many around because there are always many who buy these mutes and then see that they are not for them after all)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I agree with Milandro. I sometimes practice later at night in my closet, playing quietly on a no-baffle piece, with the sax directed at my long line of shirts to avoid waking anyone. It's much cheaper than a mute.
Then again, who needs to worry about any of this when you can buy a '20s Buescher piece?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Three years later, who else, besides me, is using the vibes one e-sax mute?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Besides kornflake, i.e. :)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
tried them both at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt and they are, to any practical use, identical (which is the reason of the legal battle that has been spilling over at the trade fair too a couple of years ago, when the Sax-Partner booth was virtually closed by some authority (they put a curtain so that you could enter the booth but not see the things while passing by).

again, the only way to profit from the sound reduction is to use the headphones (a lot of people forget or disregard those and then play too loud to hear themselves playing inside the mute!) while playing softly.

This is the main reason why a lot of people are not satisfied with any of the two mutes and you find plenty on the second hand market (mostly altos).

The dissatisfaction comes from improper used mainly from beginners who can't play soft and are screaming inside the less than comfortable and heavy mute (my neck problems were seriously enhanced by this, I recommend the use of the stand if you must use this mute at all).

Frankly, I much prefer to play quietly ( if you must, stick your horn in a clothes cabinet, it is not a joke, try it, it really works!)

"I've sold mine (and I've bought it second hand........ there are always many around because there are always many who buy these mutes and then see that they are not for them after all)"
I'm still looking for a used tenor sax partner. I do have an alto sax partner stand I'd like to sell.

·
41,595 Posts
they are much rarer than the alto version.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
they are much rarer than the alto version.
I wonder if the alton stand could be adapted to fit the tenor sax partner.
Still have the alto stand for sale.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts