Sax on the Web Forum banner

Which saxophone have you played for the longest amount of time?

10K views 87 replies 75 participants last post by  ToomanyTenors 
#1 ·
Which saxophone have you played for the longest amount of time? By this I mean not a brand or model, but a specific, individual, saxophone that you own.

For me it's simple and not very long: Yamaha YTS-21 for 13 years.

#2 ·
Great question! With so much GAS people change horns all the time. I would love to see who has the record! Mine is a Mark VI tenor I got in 2007. It has been my only tenor since then. So I matched you at 13 years. :-D

#8 ·
Conn 10M 2009. The only tenor I've ever owned.

I still have my original Martin Freres La Monte hard rubber Bb clarinet that I got in 1961 when I was in 5th grade/10 years old. I don't play it. I still have my 1975 Anniversaire Modele Buffet Crampon R13 clarinet that I got as a college graduation gift from my dad. I'll keep that one till I depart this vale of tears.

#19 ·
Mark VI alto - since around 1987, the first alto I bought since I started playing in 1985. So 33 years.

The below horns were my one and only horns until I started getting into vintage horns in 2014:
Selmer SA80 tenor - bought in 1985, sold in 2017, so 32 years.
Grassi Soprano - bought around 1986, but will be selling it as it's been unplayed since 2015.
Selmer Series 9 clarinet - bought around 1989, hasn't been played much since 2018 so I might sell it.

#21 ·
A King Super 20 bari that I bought in 1998. The saxes I've had the longest are a Martin Imperial tenor that I got in a trade in 1972 and a Buescher Tru-Tone that I got around the same time but both have been in storage for years.

#28 ·
Mk VI alto bought new in 1972. 48 years
YSS61 bought used from original owner 1977. 42 years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.