Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This fall I will be giving my first doctoral recital. I have my entire program picked out and almost ready to go except for the opening piece. I don't know what to begin my recital with.

My program is a follows:

1. ???
2. Arietta, Weilander
3. Elegie et Rondo, Husa

intermission

4. Phoenix, Noda
5. Fuzzy Bird Sonata, Yoshimatsu

I have been looking at the Jacobi Sonata and the Fasch Sonata. But these pieces almost seem boring when compared to the others on the program. They are good pieces but they don't seem to fit with the rest of the program.

I was curious to find out what others might suggest. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Chris

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
I think a transcription would be a nice start, since all of the other pieces are modern.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Looks like a great program! I always liked Noda's work -- one of our grads put Phoenix on recital with an interpretive dancer. Pretty neat to see.

For the opener, I would suggest Sonata by Fernand Decruck, or if you play any soprano perhaps the Sonata by Richard Rodney Bennett.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I've started my last couple of programs now with an original work from Adolphe Sax's time, like Savari's "Freischutz Fantaisie" or Demersseman's "Fantaisie sur un Theme Original". Houlik has begun recitals with Demersseman's "Andante et Bolero" in the past, with success.

Something nice and light, but still grabs attention.

Angel

·
Registered
323 Posts
I definitely wouldn't start w/ the Fasch Sonata. It will put your audience to sleep right off the bat, and also may wear you out, as it is pretty long with very little rest time. How about something like Milhaud's "Scaramouche" for a starter. Fun for you and the audience, and pretty light. Or maybe Morosco's "Blue Caprice", but it's somewhat taxing and you may not want to start unaccomp. Good choice of Fuzzy Bird as closer. Good luck!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Something simple, easy, and light-hearted, but entertaining...

RUMBA by Maurice Whitney

However, I'm not sure if it is "serious enough" for a doctoral recital. Good opener though in my opinion.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What about the duo Jephthah? It would fit in perfectly with your modern theme. I love the two opening notes in the first movement, it just sets such a good mood!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
320 Posts
if you try Jephthah, make sure you have access to a soprano player that is EXTREMELY comfortable with altissimo!

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Try to balance the idea of "putting on a show" with the academic requirements you have to meet to please the profs grading you...It's been my feeling that classical saxophone recitals need variety and an entertainment factor. This could be dancers, slide shows, lighting, costumes, amplification etc...Something to make it exciting and different for the audience...

As for suggestions, You may want to go with something French or Argentinian(Piazzola perhaps?) since you already have two Japanese composers, a German and a Dutch(?)...

PS I like the SHORTNESS of your recital...short and sweet is good....
Best of luck!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ever hear Fritz Kriesler's "Preludium." It should be easy to pick up. It's very simple, just slow arpeggiations up and down...some nice altissimo though. Has that "and now, introducing, the one, the only, ladies and gentlemen..."etc. sound to it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a meeting with my teacher today and discussed my recital. He felt that my recital neded still one more piece. We added the Hartley Duo and he still reccomended the Fasch but the order is not finalized. As far as the Fasch goes the more that I have practiced it the more it's grown on me. I apprecitate everyone's suggestions and input. I have another meeting with him on wednesday and we'll discuss repertiore further. We should have everything finalized then. I'll keep everyone posted. Again thanks.

Chris

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I met with my teacher earlier today and have finalized my recital program. It is as follows.

1. Duo, Hartley
2. Arietta, Weilander
3. Elegie et Rondo, Husa

intermission

4. Sonata, Fasch
5. Phoenix, Noda
6. Fuzzy Bird Sonata, Yoshimatsu

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions and input.

chris

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The exact date of the recital hasn't been decided yet. But it will probably be in early or mid fall semester. I have to get paperwork done with my committee and set up a pre recital hearing. I'll post the date when I know for sure.

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts