Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which P. Mauriat Alto should I purchase?

I'm in the market for a new Alto. I don't play professionally anymore but want a quality horn. I have a System 76 Tenor which is very good so I began looking at the PM 57GC. Problem is I can't find any info on it. My dilemma is between the 57GC (not made anymore?), 66R, and 76. Can anyone point out the big differences between the 3 besides price ? I've tried contacting Mauriat directly twice but never got a reply. Should I look at a different brand? Eastman? Cannonball? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
66 was supposed to be based on the Conn sound and 76 was supposedly based on the Selmer MkVI. When people were raving about Mauriats it seems a lot of MkVI people were going for the 66 rather than the 76 - so, as always, go and try them and see which you prefer.

66 is tenor and 67 is the alto, I think (?)

From what I can see 57 doesn't seem to be on offer.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
You really need to play them, and I would suggest trying several others as well, and decide for yourself. Between the 67R and Sys 76 the 76 will be a bit brighter and more focused and the 67R darker with a sound that seems more spread to the player. I had a Sys-76 tenor for several years and liked it but I prefer the 67R alto as I like an alto that has a timbre more like a tenor and not as bright as most of the altos out there.

If you'd like more info on the Mauriats I'd suggest you give Tim at Sax Alley a call; 970-674-0222 They were the original dealer in the US for P. Mauriat back in 2004 and probably know more and have setup more of this brand of horn than any other single shop in the US.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
876 Posts
Re: Which P. Mauriat Alto should I purchase?

I'm in the market for a new Alto. I don't play professionally anymore but want a quality horn. I have a System 76 Tenor which is very good so I began looking at the PM 57GC........I've tried contacting Mauriat directly twice but never got a reply. Should I look at a different brand? Eastman? Cannonball? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks
You may want to consider looking into the Phil Barone Classic or Vintage models alto too. I don't have the alto, but own and play a P. Mauriat system 76 straight soprano. Right now I am looking at and playing a Phil Barone Classic soprano which my friend just got yesterday, for a considerable lower price. The Barone is almost Identical to my P. Mauriat. Both are Taiwan made and likely from the same parts supply source, maybe the same factory or maybe different factories with the same quality control. The Barone is even a better value I think, since it has more intricate engravings all through the body and neck and came with a nice hard case and a Barone mouthpiece too! His soprano and mine both sound great and are equally very well built.

I don't have the alto, but based on these 2 sopranos I'm comparing now, it probably holds true for the alto and tenor. In fact my friend also just got both the Barone Classic and Vintage Tenor (not alto) which I am playing now, and I am very very pleased with the excellent build and finish, intonation and very reasonable price. I have been planning to get the Barone tenor and finally able to fully assess their quality and now totally convinced, and planning to get the Classic tenor in Gold Satin Lacquer Finish.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I have a Macsax Classic Alto which I believe is a Barone horn. Nice horn but not for me. Will be up for sale soon.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts

I have a Macsax Classic Alto which I believe is a Barone horn. Nice horn but not for me. Will be up for sale soon.
Well if you don't like that you maybe disappointed in the Mauriats as well. I'd suggest you visit a couple of shops - USA Horn, Liberty Music, Sam Ash, maybe a couple of the NYC shops and blow some horns. Lots of stuff available lightly used for good prices these days but it helps to narrow down the scope so you know which horns work for you when you come across one.

What do you not like about the Macsax??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well if you don't like that you maybe disappointed in the Mauriats as well. I'd suggest you visit a couple of shops - USA Horn, Liberty Music, Sam Ash, maybe a couple of the NYC shops and blow some horns. Lots of stuff available lightly used for good prices these days but it helps to narrow down the scope so you know which horns work for you when you come across one.

What do you not like about the Macsax??
Lower register intonation

·
Registered
3,715 Posts

Lower register intonation
The Sys -76 won't help you much there. The bell tones tend to be a bit sharp on that horn if I remember right. The 67R has better intonation down there though I find the middle Bb, B, C to be a little flat (I think?? it's been a long time since I played it) on my 67R.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
I play my friends 67R and it had a lovely dark sound... especially the lower bell notes. Kinda wish I could buy one but have too many altos already. Of course my favorite is B&S.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I played both system 76 and 67R models. If you are going for a Mauriat I think the system 76 is better if you are looking for a clear and bright alto tone. The 67R is much darker and gave me the impression of playing a tenor :)
If you are not locked with Mauriat I would recommend you either a second-hand Selmer II or a new Yanagisawa AW01. Both are wonderful free-blowing alto saxes usable for a wide range of styles. The Selmer of course will keep its value better than any other sax.
This being said i am a huge fan of the Mauriat tenor 66RX :)

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I played both system 76 and 67R models. If you are going for a Mauriat I think the system 76 is better if you are looking for a clear and bright alto tone. The 67R is much darker and gave me the impression of playing a tenor :)
If you are not locked with Mauriat I would recommend you either a second-hand Selmer II or a new Yanagisawa AW01. Both are wonderful free-blowing alto saxes usable for a wide range of styles. The Selmer of course will keep its value better than any other sax.
This being said i am a huge fan of the Mauriat tenor 66RX :)
I would agree - I like the 67R because I prefer an alto that sounds more like a small tenor than an actual alto so -guilty as charged. I also owned a Selmer Series II alto and thought that had the most flexible sound of any alto I've ever owned so I'd second that suggestion as well. That's the only horn I really regret selling.

·
Registered
31 Posts

The Sys -76 won't help you much there. The bell tones tend to be a bit sharp on that horn if I remember right. The 67R has better intonation down there though I find the middle Bb, B, C to be a little flat (I think?? it's been a long time since I played it) on my 67R.
My 67R has great intonation, except for middle D. It's insanely sharp, but everything else is near perfect when I'm in tune.
Every P. Mauriat player I've noticed has had different intonation issues. Mine is concert F, while a buddy of mine's is their low C. It may depend on the horns? Probably embouchure.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts

My 67R has great intonation, except for middle D. It's insanely sharp, but everything else is near perfect when I'm in tune.
Every P. Mauriat player I've noticed has had different intonation issues. Mine is concert F, while a buddy of mine's is their low C. It may depend on the horns? Probably embouchure.
This maybe true - I know the tendencies between the 76 and 67Rs are different, or at least they were for me. I've had better luck with the Taiwanese tenors which generally play very well in tune for me. Both my Mauriat 76 and Barone tenors are a bit sharp in the G & G# in both octaves but otherwise really close over the rest of the range. My Barone Low Bb bari is flat at middle B,C & C# but otherwise very close. There is always going to be some compromise in horn design so having every note play perfectly in tune and with perfectly equal resonance without any adjustment by the player is not possible. Mouthpiece choice can have a significant effect but often it comes down to the skill of the player to manage the trouble spot or spots on any particular horn.

In this case I haven't played a MacSax but have played a Sys-76 and Vinnie's comment made me think he might find the Sys-76 disappointing in the same way he already has issue with the horn he has so I wanted to point that out before he spent a lot of time chasing a horn down that ultimately was no help.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a 67R and I always described it as a little tenor, very powerful sound. If you are going to have a couple of altos, this one has a unique sound. I second the Yani AW01 as a nice all around player.

·
Registered
108 Posts
66 was supposed to be based on the Conn sound and 76 was supposedly based on the Selmer MkVI. When people were raving about Mauriats it seems a lot of MkVI people were going for the 66 rather than the 76 - so, as always, go and try them and see which you prefer.

66 is tenor and 67 is the alto, I think (?)

From what I can see 57 doesn't seem to be on offer.
I have a PM 66RCL TENOR and it's a killer horn. No desire to play anything else.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Middle D on my 67R is super sharp too and the low Eb is super flat. I can fix the D with embouchure but the low Eb seems hopeless. Other than that, I love the horn. Great sound. I was torn between the 67R and the 76, because it's hard to tell, other than rolled tone holes, how the horns are different. But I found a great deal on a 67R and the choice was made. (I'm curious if there's something can be done about the low Eb--like key height and stuff? I'm not sure how all that works.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts