Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to buy a new 82z.

However I am hesitating to make a decision.

Silver with F# or Unlacquered without F#

Please help me!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,438 Posts
JamGo: I see lot's of "looks" but no replies. So here's one, from a guy who doesn't play tenor. My comments are about saxophones in general, though - the presence or absence of a hi-F# key is meaningless in the big scheme of things. I have sopranos and altos with and without that feature and I don't think it matters. Others may disagree.

As far as the finish goes, lot's of disagreement about that, too. But in the end, I've never seen a convincing argument for having an un-lacquered saxophone except for the esthetic qualities of the "aged" look. If those two finishes were up to me, I'd go with the silver-plate if for no other reason than the horn's finish will be protected for years longer than having no lacquer. I have a 1925 Buescher alto and a 1928 Buescher soprano in silver that are STILL stunning. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I currently have a silver z with f#. And three other unlacquered saxophones. I have gotten to like the f# key and gotten to dislike faux finishes.

Fwiw.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Of course it's a silly question, because you're buying it for you and not us. I'd go with the silver plated model, just because I like the looks better:bluewink:!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Silver = high maintenance. You have to love cleaning and polishing your stuff so it looks nice.
But first and foremost, play them both and pick the one that you like best.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,700 Posts
I prefer, own, and play a silver plate tenor (Borgani).

I bought "Borgani" because I prefer their tone, response, build detail, and ergos. I bought silver plate because I like a shiny horn with an enduring finish.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,409 Posts
I bought a Z Unlackered Z
Also onwed a Z lackered tenor a few years back!
As for sound,in my opinion,no difference!
I prefer the alto way better then the tenor,and again only my opinion,which some wont agree!
As far as the finish,it does nt matter to me,shiny or a old lookin saxe after about a year and a half,but be prepared that it ages very fast,and darl spot here which are not the nices thing on a horn!
If you take it with a finish,then much easier to keep it in beautifull looking look,If you want that! :)
Best of luck in your choice!
My best regards
Saxobari

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have the silver plated 82z tenor w/high F#. All I can say is that for me this is a wonderful instrument and that I couldn't be happier with it. It is a very, very strong player. Placing a couple of 3M anti tarnish strips in the instruments case will help maintain the silver shiny.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an unlacquered Z, both for tenor and alto.
I tried al of the finishes and liked these most. Silver plated would have been my 2nd choice. I really felt a lot of difference in the different finishes.
To me it seemed that the silverplated is a little darker than the other finishes and the unlacquered both has the the dark and strong low end of the silver plated, but also has a lot of harmonics and brilliance to the sound in the higher register.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,227 Posts
Play them both. One will chose you. I personally DON'T like silver finish....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,700 Posts
Well!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I agree with Wietse in that by direct A-B comparison my silver Z seemed to have more core sound than the other Zs i tried, but i never attributed that difference to the finish, yet I am open to the possibility.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts