Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've stalked the forum for a while and got some great information.. thank you!

Now....I am faced with a dilemma of choosing between 2 alto saxophones at the same price... A 1928 Buescher New Aristocrat True Tone with a 3 neck OR a King 1924. Both are serviced and in very good condition and play well. Which one should I choose? And yes, I liked the sound of both....

Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,921 Posts
Choose the one you like the engraving on the most. 28 TT is a good player. Can’t say about the King. Look at any Holtons? If you can find a good one with little wear on it. That’s the hard part. Most of them have high wear. Great horns get used!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Having not played them and going off the specs & horns alone, I would personally go with the Buescher - I played on a 1924 True Tone for a while and it was a good horn. I've tried some earlier King altos and didn't like them as much. Just my own opinion. I generally think the earlier Bueschers are more reliable than the Pre-Zephyr Kings and being ~10 years newer it probably has some improvements over the King as well.

That being said, if all else is equal between the horns go with the one plays better for you. Although you like the sound of both I'm sure they sound different from each other so you need to decide which one is closer to your conception of a good alto sound for the type of music you want to play. Also see if one responds better than the other in different ranges of the horn, or if there's any better/more comfortable ergonomics on one over the other. I would definitely check intonation as well and see if there are any quirks. If all that is equal too then go with whichever you like better (looks, finish, engraving, whatever). In the end, you want whichever you're happier with.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Considering that you are undecided enough to ask opinions, I'd pick the Buescher which has better salability should you decide at some point to make a change. Twenties King altos come up frequently and for not very much $. NAs appeal to classical players.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
+1 for the Buescher.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
Intonation will be better on the Buescher - I think you should go for that.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Some years ago I went with an open mind to find a new tenor. The old King I tried was.... "interesting"... but not really up to snuff as an instrument. Scuttlebutt has been that King did some heavy redesign for the Zephyr instruments which are well known to be high quality instruments. I would not personally fool with a pre-Zephyr King unless I had some very specific reason to, but not as a general all purpose instrument.

The Buescher True Tone and Aristocrat, on the other hand, are generally considered to be fully usable as professional instruments today, as long as the True Tone is new enough to have the front high F key (I did not read carefully enough to decipher exactly which Buescher you're talking about).

So another vote for Buescher.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
If you want to play various styles of music, and in tune, choose the Buescher.
If you want to just make noise, take the King... but only if it's a couple hundred bucks. Tops.
King made absolutely stunning horns back then. They just don't play in tune.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,921 Posts
OK - The Buescher it is. Many thanks for all your advice!!

Topic closed.
It would be really nice to hear your response after your purchase. Maybe some pictures too. Tons of vintage ones out there at reasonable prices. Maybe someone else in your position could benefit from your response on another day.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Tons of vintage ones out there at reasonable prices.
A New Aristocrat alto with a 3 neck is quite a desirable and somewhat rare find; especially if it has original plating. The near holy grail for Rascherites. The neck alone could go for over $500, though I would never suggest selling it separately in this case.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts