Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between Rico Select Jazz and Rigotti Gold Jazz, which one one give edgyness with my Dukoff D7 refaced? I've tried Palsticover, really love the edgy but always squeak and squeak. Or do you guys have any recommendation other than those?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I've used both and the Rigottis are definitely brighter for me.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Between Rico Select Jazz and Rigotti Gold Jazz, which one one give edgyness with my Dukoff D7 refaced? I've tried Palsticover, really love the edgy but always squeak and squeak. Or do you guys have any recommendation other than those?
Squeaking is because of a bad reface job. My Dukoffs played fine until I dropped one and messed up the facing. Bad reface job would have the same result. Something is off with your mouthpiece that needs to be fixed before you worry about reeds.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,010 Posts
Just switched to Rigottis last week, and aside from being an amazing reed and much better sounding for me on all my pieces, it is definitely brighter and edgier than the RSJs.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
Who refaced it? Squeaking and squealing happens with me when the reed doesn’t seal well with the table.
Dukoffs can be tough to tame. You made need to have it looked at again.
Try wetting the butt end of what you’re playing and play it again.
I play Links and the Rigottis bring out the best in them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but Dukoffs are tough to tame (for me) especially the silverite ones . I had one refaced years ago and still never got on with it. I personally like hard rubber pieces. As far as the reeds go, Rigottis are brighter and edgier for me but a good Jazz select unfiled projects and sounds better for me (when I get a good one ) I play in many loud bands with electric guitars etc. so this is my opinion on it. I have an older RPC hard rubber piece that Ron made for me years back, still one of the best pieces I ever played. The edge you can add yourself by opening up your throat and growling .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts