Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm getting an oboe soon and I notice there are a lot of different cuts out there. For example, Jones has two different models of oboe reeds. Jones may not be the best company out there...but my question to you all is, which reed do you find the best and why?
Do you find the European scrape more benefitial?
View attachment 200674
Do you find the American scrape more benefitial?
View attachment 200682
Would one switch between both the European scrape and American scrape depending on the work one was doing?

Living here in the Bay Area, most stores do not carry oboe or bassoon reeds and if they do they carry Emerald, Jones or Meason. With the stores that carry Jones reeds, they do not carry the European scrape. They are especially difficult for me to find.

Forrests Music in Berkeley, CA has a large selection of reeds to choose from...
https://www.forrestsmusic.com/oboe_reeds.htm
but they all appear to be the longer American style scrape or even custom designs that have a double windon appearance to them LOL!
Not that that's a bad thing, I'm sure it's wonderful!

Does anyone here have experience using both European and American scrape oboe reeds?
Which one do you find most benefitial and why?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi, I like the American scrape because I think it helps me sound the lowest notes and the tone is better. I get reeds from china $3 each so I buy 15 at a time. These are English cut so I get to scrape them to what I want,,I mean I didn't have anything else to do for 4 hours so what the hey. But I end up with 10 or so good reeds. I bought one good reed from Aaron somebody for $30 to use as a guidepost. I didn't like the Jones reeds I got from Musicians Friend. There is another brand (can't remember the name) but I wasn't impressed with it either. Get a pack of 100 single edge razor blades to scrape, then take one dull blade grind it to an elongated diamond shape for a plaque to slide between the reed tips. Use toenail clippers to cut the tips when they frazzle (technical term, ha).
Seriously playing the oboe means that you will spend time messing with reeds. Get a bunch from china and spend the time learning what you like. Then you can be an intelligent shopper when buying reeds from someone else.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I really appreciate your input.
I was actually considering doing exactly what you suggested. I found these Senrhy reeds on aliexpress.com...
View attachment 200786
I also found these Shi Zhong reeds on amazon.com...
View attachment 200794
They look like reeds that can be worked on to practice makinf my own personal reeds and even customizing existing reeds to give me the tone I hear in my head LOL!
I just need to get the tools to do it right.
I've seen a lot of oboe players like Stefan Schilli, Shefali Pryor and Sanja Romic using European scrape reeds (atlesast that is what they are pictured with)
Maybe the thing is to just find a reed that works well for me and stay with it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Maybe the thing is to just find a reed that works well for me and stay with it. Yes that would be fun. Let us know how that works out for you, ,,,please.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oboe reeds are way more significant to playing well than single reeds, it's important to be playing reeds that are responsive, on pitch, and the right strength or resistance. It's not as simple as buying commercial reeds and just playing. Your best bet would be to find a local oboe player who also teaches. They can provide guidance to get you started, and even more importantly, can furnish you with reeds that actually play correctly. I don't think there's any way around it.
Jim

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Jim22 is correct, a custom made reed is of prime importance to sound good on the oboe, don't expect to play on commercial mass produced reeds and sound acceptable on them. At the very least they need to be adjusted by some one who knows how to work on reeds, most often you're better off getting reeds made from scratch by a pro player. It is literally impossible to sound acceptable on most commercial reeds.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'd go further and say that the choice between American scrape and European is immaterial, for the reason that once you've put the work in to learn the instrument AND learn to make a serviceable reed (note, I didn't say 'good') whatever reed you play will be the reed for you.
Being British, I learnt the European scrape, but lip size and tooth and jaw shape have a huge influence on how long a scrape you need. The American scrape can make playing easier in some ways, IF you really know how to make them well, but my experience after having spent some time learning that scrape was that they can be even more prone to splitting if they are not thoroughly moist (as all reeds should be) before you put embouchure pressure on them.

Perhaps your best deciding factor might be to find an oboist whose tone you really like - is it Heinz Holliger (elder statesman of the intellectual European oboe style), or Tom Boyd (Mr Hollywood oboe), or one of the German players who have a very 'thick' sound, or the clearer British tone of Nick Daniel or Gordon Hunt?

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
OP, I would go with European scrape for the present because Legere offers a synthetic oboe reed that is available only in that cut (although Legere says it's working on an American scrape model).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts