Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All -

Need a little help with my early attempts to arrange a "Tower of Power" tune...

When writing for 3 horns and trying to cover a 7th chord, generally speaking, which chord member should I leave out?

Thanks !!

· Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,498 Posts
The 5th is usualy regarded as the least important, what did T.O.P do ?

· Banned
4,283 Posts
It depends on the harmonic context and the style of voicing. An F7, for example can be voiced Eb, D, G (making it an inversion of F 6/9).

It also depends on whether there are accompanying instruments. If you have a bass, the bottom is covered, and you can eliminate the root most of the time from the horn voicings.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses ...

The tune I'm looking at is "I Like Your Style" and I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how TOP voiced it - I think I hear the horns playing a lot of notes *other* than the root and 5th, so maybe, as one respondant suggested, their bass player covers that and leaves the horns to the more interesting notes!

Thanks again ... you guys/gals are 'da bomb (I think that means something good!)

· Registered
384 Posts
Horn voicings usually don't include the root because that's taken care of by the bass player. The 5th doesn't help dictate the chord quality unless it is altered (flat or sharp).

Good voicings usually include 3rd, 7th and something else like the 9th or 13th (6th). Here are some standard three note voicings:

3-6-9
3-7-9
7-3-5
7-3-6

· Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,209 Posts
Hi MoonPie

Maybe I should clarify my answer. You asked which chord note to leave out, and the most obvious is the 5th, at least in most cases. But if you are doing an arrangment for three horns there are many other possiblities like others wrote. That depends on many things, because there are many types of ideas - Are the horns counterpoint to the melody? Are they accompanying the melody with it? Long tones to accompany a singer? And these are just a few of endless number of possibilties....

But there is also a more philosophical issue. I learned jazz arrangement and orchestration in university, and what we learned there, and some suggestions here, is what worked in history of jazz and passed thge test of time. These are things many great composers/arrangers did. The general "rule" about dissing the 5th is based on that (not that it isn't a good idea, it is possible understand exactly why the 5th was usually dissed and it makes sense). But if I would arrange a song today I wold probably do it very differently. Other arrangers (even many years ago) already broke those "rules" and did totally different things. So I think the most important when arranging to have in the music the answer to the question "why" and that also depends on the idea of the music.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.