Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

is the a recommended sequence to learn the altissimo notes? I keep reading that G is very hard? Do people learn them in sequence: F#, G, G#, A etc or is there a recommended order to learn them?

Thank you

·
Registered
323 Posts
I saw in another thread that you are working with the Rascher book. Keep working with that. Really read the stuff at the beginning, and work on the "boring" exercises towards the beginning. "Hear" the pitches in your head before you try to play them. With all of that said, I think "A" was the first one I remember getting, but it's been while. YMMV.

Also, don't pay attention to anything you hear about something being "very hard", and you'll do yourself a huge favor. It's not hard, it's "Less Familiar". :)

Why did I use so many "quotes" tonight?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep faith JTMusic, you will succeed!

It is just a question of perseverance (a good teacher sure helps too). I am not far on the "altissimo" journey, only got the F# down and I still need to work on it too. But it is a first and it build confidence!

Are you playing alto or tenor? I can now do it on both alto and tenor but it took me a few more weeks on alto. I worked on it for many months before I finally heard that first note.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have been taught to learn the F# and then the A. After those two notes the rest should come easy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been taught to learn the F# and then the A. After those two notes the rest should come easy.
Thank you for the suggestion :) My teacher, to the same question told me "in sequence!", knowing full well that 'G' is hard. He told me that smiling.

Any favorite 'A' fingering to suggest for alto and tenor ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Keep faith JTMusic, you will succeed!

It is just a question of perseverance (a good teacher sure helps too). I am not far on the "altissimo" journey, only got the F# down and I still need to work on it too. But it is a first and it build confidence!

Are you playing alto or tenor? I can now do it on both alto and tenor but it took me a few more weeks on alto. I worked on it for many months before I finally heard that first note.
I got the F# consistantly down with the student tenor i play.
I have been working on the g, because it would seem natural to go up a scale, right?
Guess i could try an A?
:|

·
Registered
782 Posts
Is there a sequence? No. It varies with student to student. My view is that most can squeak out an A and some are able to progress up much quicker than they can go down to G# or G.

I like to think of altissimo as I did when learning sax in the first place. A number of student sax books start with B, A & G. I get students to play the beginner sax pages up 2 octaves and it covers B, A & G. Also important to work on overtones too and doing things like playing the F Major Scale ascending in harmonics eg F2 (Bb), G2(C), A2(D), Bb3(Bb), C3(C), D3(Bb), E3(C) & F3(Bb). Note: some students can play altissimo but struggle with overtones but the altissimo is generally not as secure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
I honestly don't find G all that hard. I remember hearing the same thing, that it was hard, when I was learning altissimo, but I never found that to actually be the case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.