Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this elementary questions dosen't cost me some knowledgable response and I'll try to give you guys some specifics to base your answers on. I currently play a Series 1 tenor with a Serie 111 neck. It's a much improved horn since the new neck but nevertheless I'm thinking of replacing it. Right now I'm leaning towards a Serie 111. Don't know why, I haven't played any yet but I've heard some great things about these horns. I play a little of everything: rock, gospel, country, and play in a big band. I plan on trying out all the different horns Selmer makes (don't think a Mark V1 is within my budget). So I guess my real question is "Will the Series 111 handle a wide variety of styles? Thanks!

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Great horns. Some guys wrestle between the Ref 54 and Ref 36 but I think most agree that the Series III is a really good horn and if I were getting a new horn I think any of the 3 would do for me. However just remember...

PLAY IT FIRST!!!!!!! Go to a shop where they have a lot of 'em. If you can. Go to NY. It may cost you a bit more. But if you get one you like right off the bat then you're a winner. And play EVERYTHING! You may find a winner in a Yani, Mauriat, Yamaha, whatever, and save yourself some bread.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
I wouldn't buy any new Selmer tenor, but thats just me.

Also, the Series III's are incredibly bright. Don't know if that matters to you or not...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carbs said:
I would play what I have. Do you mind if I ask why you want to sell?
I guess I should have made it a little clearer that I am going to try out different saxes and buy one only IF I like any of them better than my horn. The Series 1 has gotten such a bad rap but I'm not convinced it's justified in all cases. I really like mine with the Series 111 neck. But then again...........if you ain't had caviar peanut butter tastes just fine;) . One things for sure: I'm either going to leave there with a better appreciation of my horn or realize for the last 12 years I could have been playing a better tenor. And yes, Martinman, I know the 111's are brighter. But I prefer a bright tenor. I just can't imagine why you wouldn't buy one;) . Anyway, thanks for the suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Don't get a series 3 tenor !! --- I almost made that mistake- - get a selmer get a mark vi or a series 2 -- if those are out of your budget get a mark 7 -- the modern selmer's are not that good . look at keilworth and yanigisawa

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,051 Posts
Rubbish. Pure and utter, unfounded garbage.

The Serie III is a fine and capable horn, able to play anything that you need - classical, jazz, rock... I have had them and used them for all calls. They are not as bright as the Yamahas, as a point of comparison.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,343 Posts
DR G,,you are absolutely right!
When I read guys that are describing the Serie III as bright,makes me laugh!What make a horn brightmaybe your reeds and mpc,,certainly not my Serie III...I have play tested the 54 ,36,then Mark VI,also a Serie II,all together in ,,and by far the Serie3is bad,and also far most a bright sax! Not at all,,that is crap! I decided to go with a 9 years old Serie III cause I felt it was very nice,deep rich tone that Selmer make! Before I did own two Yamahas,and one was bright,,though I can't agree that the III is a bright and mediocre horn as some descibe it!
I have had that III for many months,,and no regrets at all,except just that I love it even more!
So desregard opinions thatmaybe to you can be so different! Try as many tenors as you can,,,but try them first then make a desicion!
All the best in your search!
Saxobari

·
Registered
92 Posts
You're in Clear Spring, MD. GO TO CHUCK LEVIN'S. You'll save $$ and get some good advice if you ask for it. Ask them for some price quotes, you won't regret it. They'll have a lot of other horns for you to try as well. I'd at least try a keilwerth EX90 or SX90 and a Yamaha 62/62II/82z while I'm there. A lot of people like Yani's too, and P. Mauriats are sold there (they seem to be a favorite with some of the people on this forum), though I personally have not had the fortune to play on either.

Personally, I think the MPC is going to make a bigger difference for the type of style you want to play. Just make sure you try out the horns first, and choose based on the sound you get. It took my a while to get used to my EX90, but the sound I get from it is worth it... so worth it.

So go to Chuck's, play a bunch of horns, and pick something nice. And make sure if you like one horn, you try several of the same type. I know it's a bit of a trip for you, but I don't think there's a better place in the region, and you'll probably end up saving more $$ than the gas you burnt to get there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
The modern Selmers are great horns, they just need to be set up thoroughly.

Many pros have used the III tenors. Don't hesitate trying out the Ref 36 or 54 you can find them used on Ebay for around $3500. They are a consistent built horn, but they always need to be set up. Even ones that have been played for a long time. It's the rare bird that goes through all the trouble of having these horns taken completely apart and making sure that ever single aspect of the horn is perfect. Once you do this these modern Selmers really play.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tigerhobs said:
You're in Clear Spring, MD. GO TO CHUCK LEVIN'S. You'll save $$ and get some good advice if you ask for it. Ask them for some price quotes, you won't regret it. They'll have a lot of other horns for you to try as well. I'd at least try a keilwerth EX90 or SX90 and a Yamaha 62/62II/82z while I'm there. A lot of people like Yani's too, and P. Mauriats are sold there (they seem to be a favorite with some of the people on this forum), though I personally have not had the fortune to play on either.

Personally, I think the MPC is going to make a bigger difference for the type of style you want to play. Just make sure you try out the horns first, and choose based on the sound you get. It took my a while to get used to my EX90, but the sound I get from it is worth it... so worth it.

So go to Chuck's, play a bunch of horns, and pick something nice. And make sure if you like one horn, you try several of the same type. I know it's a bit of a trip for you, but I don't think there's a better place in the region, and you'll probably end up saving more $$ than the gas you burnt to get there.
Yes, Chucks is where I shop for my music needs. In fact, the Series 1 I have came from there. Some of my mouthpieces too. Going there is always an adventure to say the least. Many times I've been trying out a mouthpiece and some dude is 5 feet away trying out a set of drums or electric guitar. I'll take a few mouthpieces with me. I usually play a Ponzol M2, but I also have a great Berg that Ed Zentera just reworked for me and a Mojo Dukoff. Thanks for the input and advice to all of you.

·
34,051 Posts
Dan, you may find that your next saxophone is not well mated to your favorite (for now) mouthpiece. Certainly, the mouthpieces that worked best with my Balanced Action were not the best match for my Serie III. Then, when I went from the III to my Ref 36 of the last many years, I had to go a-questing all over again. The irony is that my Florida Link 7* that played so well for so many years with my BA would have been a great match for my Ref 36. Ah well. The path is everything.

G'luck.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dr G said:
Dan, you may find that your next saxophone is not well mated to your favorite (for now) mouthpiece. Certainly, the mouthpieces that worked best with my Balanced Action were not the best match for my Serie III. Then, when I went from the III to my Ref 36 of the last many years, I had to go a-questing all over again. The irony is that my Florida Link 7* that played so well for so many years with my BA would have been a great match for my Ref 36. Ah well. The path is everything.

G'luck.
You mean I'll have another reason to buy more mouthpieces? SCHWEET!!:D :D Yes, Dr G, I've thought of that too. I believe my Ponzol and 125/1 Berg will work OK, but I think the Dukoff may have to be put away. Thanks for your help.

·
34,051 Posts
That's the attitude!

You're welcome.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
If you absoluttttely must have a Selmer tenor, find a Mark VII or even a TS100. Not overpirced and still good horns. If you want a GOOD tenor, find an old Conn or Martin. I have had 3-4 VIs and now have a Conn Chu.

·
4,046 Posts
VII tenors ain't cheap these days. Those of us with good ones have watched the value go up at least $500 in the past couple of years.

I wouldn't even compare the American made Selmers to the Paris horns. The quality and tone of the Paris horns is on a whole other level.

What exactly is this guys budget before we waste anymore time.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
heath said:
VII tenors ain't cheap these days. Those of us with good ones have watched the value go up at least $500 in the past couple of years.

I wouldn't even compare the American made Selmers to the Paris horns. The quality and tone of the Paris horns is on a whole other level.

What exactly is this guys budget before we waste anymore time.
I think I answered your budget question on my original post. I'm leaning towards a new 111. Do you know what one cost? I do! Now go practice and don't "waste" any more of your time answering questions that are beneath you.:x

·
4,046 Posts
DanF said:
I think I answered your budget question on my original post. I'm leaning towards a new 111. Do you know what one cost? I do! Now go practice and don't "waste" any more of your time answering questions that are beneath you.:x
I think you read a little too much into my question. At no point did I see a dollar amount being stated, just that you were wanting a III. The price of a III could be all over the place from $2800 to $4400. Kind of depends where you want to buy this horn and how much you want to save.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just go and try them out.

Try them all, and switch the necks before trying them again :p.

For a variety of styles, it sounds like you're leaning towards a Series III or a Ref.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts