Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I finally went to try both Cannonballs: BBSS & Vintage, side by side today. I loved the ease of play of the BBSS (w Fat Neck) but MUCH prefer the tone of the Vintage. However I had quite a hard time blowing the Vintage, more resistance for sure but I don't know if it was just that, the BBSS was effortless compared to the rental YTS-275 I currently play whereas the Vintage was more work than the YTS...

I was too excited and forgot to try the Vintage with the BBSS Fat Neck. (I only tried the BBSS with the Fat Neck).

So do Vintage owners tends to use the "regular" neck of the Fat Neck?

Thank you

P.S. I will return to test the Vintage with the Fat Neck...

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I tend to use my fat neck -- that's only because I only came with one and it's now fat. Didn't used to be, but it is now. That said, it doesn't sound any different than when it was a thin neck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but the Vintage models don't include 2 necks like the Stone series. I've tried a Fat neck from a Stone Series on my Vintage horns (alto and tenor) but they were too expensive for me to want to special order them. I liked the Fat neck on my Vintage tenor and probably would have ordered one if they were less expensive, but the Fat neck on alto didn't really improve the sound. So I don't think I'm really missing out on anything.

I question your comment about the resistance of the Vintage models. To me they weren't that much more resistant than the Stone Series and my tenor Vintage model was much less resistant than my Reference 54 that I used to have. I'm wondering if the horn you tried was setup--they can have some resistance if they are not setup properly. Or perhaps the mouthpiece wasn't positioned correctly for proper tuning. I know I've made that mistake before when trying out horns. Easy to do if your mouthpiece doesn't fit on the cork well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi and thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but the Vintage models don't include 2 necks like the Stone series.
Yes I know, but if the difference is huge I would consider an extra Fat Neck :)

I liked the Fat neck on my Vintage tenor and probably would have ordered one if they were less expensive
It is the tenor I am considering so I'd like more detail on why you actually preferred the Fat Neck; freer blowing is a given!

I question your comment about the resistance of the Vintage models. To me they weren't that much more resistant than the Stone Series and my tenor Vintage model was much less resistant than my Reference 54 that I used to have. I'm wondering if the horn you tried was setup--they can have some resistance if they are not setup properly.
Now that is interesting! I am sure the horn was NOT setup, it was still in wrapping when they brought it. Getting the low notes out was such an effort that I would have expected the characteristics of the horn to be part of it too. What you say prove that I was wrong!

Or perhaps the mouthpiece wasn't positioned correctly for proper tuning. I know I've made that mistake before when trying out horns. Easy to do if your mouthpiece doesn't fit on the cork well.
I had a tuner with me and tune myself so I am positive the piece was correctly positioned.

Thank you!

·
Registered
58 Posts
It was well over a year ago that I tried the Fat neck on my Vintage tenor, so the details are kind of fuzzy. However, I do remember it having a nice tone--made it sound more like a Stone Series Cannonball. To me, it wasn't really freer blowing--the stock neck was pretty free blowing. I thought at the time that it gave a nice alternative to the stock neck, but I liked the horn with either neck. I don't play tenor as much as I used to, so it was probably a good thing I didn't special order a fat neck.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I tried a couple of Vintage and 3 or 4 stone series together and bought the Vintage. I'm an old-timer with limited lung capacity, so free-blowing was a prerequisite. I couldn't tell much difference - I picked the Vintage because of it's huge resonant low end sound, which just blew me away.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,978 Posts
When I tried out several different models of Cannonball tenors a year and a half ago, I didn't get to experiment with the necks, but found that the choice in mouthpiece made a world of difference. I didn't like either model with a high baffled mouthpiece, but noticed dramatic improvement when using a rollover with them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting, a few people wrote that the Vintage and BBSS were similar in resistance I'll try to get them to set it up properly (maybe they have another one in inventory) and will return to try it.

I was playing a JJ HR 7* with RJS 3M and a ZZ3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts