Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypothetically speaking, say I have this friend that has like 30 mouthpieces. All 30 of these mouthpieces play really really well. Every time my friend goes to sell a mouthpiece he wants to make sure he isn't making a mistake so he plays it. It plays fantastic and he decides to not sell it. The problem is that he has 30 mouthpieces and the reality is that each of them gets very little playing time. Each of these mouthpieces have aspects to them that are amazing. He honestly has a hard time trying to pick one that is the best. How should my friend go about deciding which mouthpieces to sell and which to keep. He wants to get back to the days where he just played one mouthpiece and really felt comfortable with that one piece.

Let me know what you think and I'll pass it on to my really good friend. Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Send the J7 back to me for a full refund - if I ever sell it, I'll send the profit to you.

·
32,962 Posts
Are you gonna sell that ol' SBA as well?

Maybe it's time for a shiny new horn and a matching mouthpiece!

Xmas is right around the corner. Maybe someone has a surprise in the closet for their special someone. It could happen.

·
12,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why are you guys referring to me..........this is for my friend with 30 mouthpieces. He bought three padded containers to hold 30 mouthpiece and vowed to never go over that limit. But now all three containers are filled. He's thinking of buying another container but..........maybe it's time to cut back. I'm just trying help the close friend of mine..........

·
12,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you gonna sell that ol' SBA as well?

Maybe it's time for a shiny new horn and a matching mouthpiece!

Xmas is right around the corner. Maybe someone has a surprise in the closet for their special someone. It could happen.
Coincidentally enough, My friend has an SBA also. It has the same serial number as mine which I thought was an amazing coincidence. He told me he won't be selling that but it will be offered up for auction at his funeral.

·
32,962 Posts
Why are you guys referring to me...
I wasn't. I was talking to your friend whom I know is just shadowing your account. Don't listen - and don't be alarmed if your friend gives away some of your mouthpieces by mistake. It's all good. And don't listen to the voices that tell your friend that mouthpieces don't take up too much room, after all who needs so much room for socks and underwear?

Regards to you and the voices,

g

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I bet your close friend is also called Steve ...
But seriously, I have the same problem. Not really the same amount of mouthpieces, but close (around 20). So my plan is:
1) First choose about 10-12 that are clearly my favorite.
2) Play each for about a month to really learn it and then at the end of the month do a clip of it.
3) After the 10-12 months, listen closely to the clips and keep the best 4-5. Sell the rest.

Right now I'm at stage 2, so some mpcs from stage 1 will be up for sale very soon (some are already gone). They're all excellent, but I really don't play them.
I've spent more than a year with my T Wanne Gaia (definitely a keeper for the final stage), so I know that one pretty well.
This September was spent playing on a Freddie Gregory Mark (red marble). Also a keeper for the final stage, I suspect. Next week I'll be making a clip of it.
Next month is Otto Link Double Ring New York month. It will take a while, but in about a year I'll have decided on number one and 3-4 backups (just in case ones).

·
32,962 Posts
It will take a while, but in about a year I'll have decided on number one and 3-4 backups (just in case ones).
Does that imply that you won't be buying any mouthpieces during that time?

·
5,878 Posts
Does that imply that you won't be buying any mouthpieces during that time?
yes, in principle ... except the 3 that I've already ordered :cry:

·
32,962 Posts
yes, in principle ... except the 3 that I've already ordered :cry:
Ouch, that's got to set you back another $1000+ and several months... Bummer.

Better not get a new horn or you'll have to start all over again. :shock:

·
5,878 Posts
Ouch, that's got to set you back another $1000+ and several months... Bummer.

Better not get a new horn or you'll have to start all over again. :shock:
But I'm already including those 3 in the 10-12 months. And I hope to get at least some of the $1000 from the sales of the ones I won't keep.
But you're right with respect to the horn ... maybe I should better keep 5-6 then... oh boy ...

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
The Grass is always greener on the other side. When in fact its not always. Put your top three in a hat, pick one out blindly and sell the rest.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I like the quote by Daniel Bonade, the famous clarinet player and teacher

"Take all of your mouthpieces to the middle of a lake, select one and throw the rest overboard. Then go back to shore and learn how to play it."

Pick one that is flexible enough and reed friendly enough to do everything you need. IF you were to play a great variety of really diverse gigs, such as orchestra gigs, jazz quartet, screaming R&B, etc that might NEED something completely different, then keep a couple. Otherwise, spend the time to get every last ounce that you can out of the one mouthpiece.

(I wonder if we went over to a carpenter's forum, would there be discussions about having 30 hammers?)

·
5,878 Posts
(I wonder if we went over to a carpenter's forum, would there be discussions about having 30 hammers?)
I wonder how many subtleties you can get out of a hammer, as compared to a mouthpiece ...

·
5,878 Posts
By the way, I've used my system (see post #10) on soprano and alto and it worked fairly well. On soprano I'm down to only 3 pieces and on alto only 6. And I always use the same main piece on each of them.

Also, I forgot to mention, while I play the mpc for a month, I take written notes about it (what kind of sound, what reeds work better on it, level of resistance, balance, etc.)

Steve, the only thing that you don't seem to have done that I suggest is to spend more than some minutes, sometimes a only few days, with most of your pieces, or am I wrong? Because you do already have the clips and the notes (your evaluations of them). So it should be easier for you. Still, I believe that you should wait at least a month before you do a clip where you really explore and do justice to a piece.

·
Registered
73 Posts
perhaps you could convince your "friend" to setup a website and do reviews of all those mouthpieces. Oh, wait... :)

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Don't sell any unless you need the money. My horns and mouthpieces have proven to be much better investments over the last 10 years than my stocks and mutual funds.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts