Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have played Selmer Soloist C* mouthpiece for about 6 years on my alto sax, but now it started to change color from black to "a little bit grey". When I reached high school, I went from S90 to soloist C* and was very happy with it.
However, since I am not playing that much any more and need it more or less just for big band and classical brass band, I am in search for a new mouthpiece.

I prefer Selmer mouthpieces, as I was very happy with all of them so far. I would prefer an opening such that it allows for playing with reeds of hardness up to 3 (most prefered hardness). I don't need a very focused tone, but more mellow and jazzy, for my big band solos.
Please, suggest, or just tell your opinion on the tip opening, as I will be testing them before buying anyway...

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it going grey, they can go brown or green and still play great.

But if you think you need a wider tip, you can't go wrong sticking witha Soloist anyway, great mouthpieces. There's no harm in trying a D or an E, I sometimes use an E but I would have a 2.5 reed with it.

Also worth looking at are Vandoren Java A45.

You will get a lot (and I mean a lot) of different recommendations here so hang on tight..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I have used the same Selmer S-80 D since about 1979 and also have a Selmer Super Session D that is really great and has a lot of power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bruce, how would you compare Super Session and S80? Why did you choose D opening? What hardness of reeds do you play with?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I have used a D for may years on the S-80 so I went the same on the Super Session. Also D is the most closed for these. I had an E but too open. I generally use about a #3 reed. Plays like a Selmer, sounds like a Meyer!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts