Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most saxophonists choose which reed to use with their chosen mouthpiece. I have a reason to choose the other way around:

I have been playing, mainly tenor, for many years. I have recently got problem with allergy against cane reeds, which happens to some saxophonists. So I have switched to Fibracell synthetic reeds, and really think that I could make them my main reeds. However, at least for me, they sound on the bright and edgy side, which is not my wanted sound. I’m more on the dark and warm side. I think that I want to use Fibracell 2½ strength, since I prefer a bit softer reed and a mouthpiece tip opening that suits the reed strength.

Earlier I used a Brancher metal J27 mouthpiece, but with Fibracell reeds I get a too edgy sound. I purchased a Theo Wanne GAIA HR 8, which is supposed to sound quite dark. But even with this my sound is too bright and even thin. I found in my drawer a Berg Larsen metal 110/2 SMS which I played many years ago, and this piece works better with the Fibracell reeds. It is in a bad condition though, so my first idea was to get a new Berg Larsen, although I’m not sure which model.

And it was at this point I got the idea of asking the members of this forum that use Fibracell reeds (or know enough about them anyway): Could it be like there are some good choices of mouthpiece that could be especially good at producing a dark sound with Fibracell reeds? As always the sound also depends on the player, but I am curious about experiences out there.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Be prepared to spend a lot of time experimenting. I found Fibracells can work beautifully on some mpcs, and sound horrible on others.

Considering you like darkness, I'm surprised that they worked for you on a stainless berg. I found that combination to be shrill (and I even like a moderately bright tenor sound).

You might want to try Rubber Link Tone Edge. In general I'd say look at low rollover baffle mpcs with a generous round chamber. Fibracell will definitely add brightness, but it might be very manageable with the right mpc.

I also found I had to increase reed strength significantly with Fibracell. On alto i play a 3 or 3.5 cane reed, but a fibracell #4 is VERY playable right from the start. I might even need a 4.5.

·
Registered
249 Posts
A while back I had some work done on an HR V16 tenor piece by Morgan Fry. He asked what reed I used and got me to send a Fibracell with the mouthpiece. He altered the facing curve to better suit the Fibracell which does seem to make it play a bit darker. You would need to ask him what exactly he did to it. That's way beyond my pay grade.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
Go with Legere Signature if you want a Vandoren Blue Box type sound in a synthetic reed.
I was going to suggest this. If you must go with synthetics, there are darker options than the Fibracells. Legere Sig. is as warm a reed as I have tried in a synthetic.

Alastair, on your piece I made the facing a bit longer and more nearly radial than usual, and did the playtesting/fine tuning of the curve/baffle/chamber with that reed.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I don't like/play synthetics, however, I have tried just about all of them that are available. Fibracells are very bright and edgy for me, although I have heard players, including a good friend of mine, who sound great on Fibracells. In your case, as has been mentioned already, I would recommend the Legere Signature as a good alternative.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
For a dark sound on Fibracells, stick with #3 strengths and harder. I mostly use 2.5s which I find have a nice balanced sound. #2s are buzzy. All synth reeds get buzzy in the softer strengths.

The Legere reeds are darker than Fibracells. The Bari-brand reeds are brighter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all tips so far! I will try as many of the suggestions as I can. Still open for more ... :|

dstack79: Yes, I was really surprised that my stainless berg worked for me. In fact I can both play quite smooth and push it. And my GAIA HR sounds edgy!! A mystery.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
That would be "rite chere"

No-USA Florida Link STM refaced by EZ with dark Rovner lig and #3 Fibracell on a Buescher Big B tenor:

http://cierra.cc/ev_demo2.mp3

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I switched to Legere Signature. Took some time to adjust to, and to find the right strength. But as pointed out from many replies here, this reed is on the warm and dark side. Thanks everyone, really great to have you around!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts