Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Seeker Of A Clever Title.
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard Morgan pieces work really well on Bueschers (the jazz pieces). Which ones work the best intonation-wise (specifically, on a Buescher New Aristocrat)? What are the different qualities of different models? Do the medium chamber ones work as well as the large chamber ones? I am in need of a jazz piece right now, so it would also be greatly appreciated if you had any other suggestions. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
My take is that any mouthpiece that you play well on your alto now will play well on a Buescher.

I have a Morgan-Bilger HR piece that plays well on my three Buescher altos, but all three of those altos (a TT, Big B and TH&C) also play well with my Meyer 6S-M, Super Session F and a Don Sinta piece.

I don't believe the old saw that one needs a vintage style mouthpiece for a vintage saxophone, but will agree that some mouthpieces compliment a specific horn's tonal characteristics. Again, that's more about the player and how he plays a certain mouthpiece than the same mouthpiece for all players. DAVE

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Your horn is pretty mouthpiece friendly, compared to other vintage horns. Morgan pieces are very good, and consistent. Try a 5, or 6, either M, or L.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I play here a Morgan 5L mpc on my Buescher Aristocrat serie 1 alto, with a vando 3 reed (a bit to hard ...)

And here the same Morgan 5L mpc with a vando ZZ3 reed.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I belong to the L chamber camp, playing 5L on tenor and 5EL on alto. I prefer the greater mellowness of the L but play what I have and see no reason to change.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
Ralph himself (God bless him) told me after I picked up a nice Big B alto that a good large chamber piece would bring out the best sound from a Buescher horn. Remember Ralph was with Buescher early on and later with Selmer and developed many of the mouthpieces for Buescher. He sent me a Jazz 7L and it's been wonderful on my Big B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts