Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I know Bird used a lot of different horns, but with respect to the King Super 20's which did he use? What serial number? Silver Sonic or all brass - or both?

Any tips on buying a S20?

How about Cannonball?

Thank you.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Wow!!! cool! Thanks. Curious to know of used a brass super 20 as well on a consistent basis. Now just need to knoe Cannonball.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Cannonball had many Super 20 and Silver Sonics. From the fully pearled ones to the latest Cleveland models. He even went to a Mark VI for a while, but came back to the Kings.
. Assume his main horn was a silver sonic? I heard Andrew Speight recently and he had a great bright and vibrant bepob sound. I asked him about his King - amd he said it was a Yanigasaw. Cool dude. Im thinking about getting a silvers sonic. I once tried a mark vi 220xxx with a silver bell and it was the best horn i ever played (tenor). Other than mine馃榿

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
My Silversonic sounds exactly like my brass S20 with the silver neck. The type of metal used does not seem to make a bit of difference in the sound. Both of mine are late 60鈥檚 Cleveland S20鈥檚.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
. Assume his main horn was a silver sonic? I heard Andrew Speight recently and he had a great bright and vibrant bepob sound. I asked him about his King - amd he said it was a Yanigasaw. Cool dude.
Any info regarding his mouthpiece and choice of reeds?

Registered
The one Cannonball used on a lot of his more famous albums was a 319xxx Series 2 Silver Sonic.
Bird's famous one is a Series 1a, and is now (or was very recently) at auction at Christie's in NYC for $250,000.
Super 20s with sterling bell + full pearls + gold inlay like Bird and Cannonball played are extremely rare and very collectible.

View attachment 218600 View attachment 218602

Registered
Any tips on buying a S20?
If you're looking for an investment, find a full pearls Silversonic.
If you're looking for a player, find a great playing Series 2 (about 305xxx-340xxx), the last of the full pearls models. King updated a few things on these including the LH spatula keys and octave mech. They have a big sound, light and fast action, and great intonation if they're set up right. I've played a number of these over the years and a 333xxx stands out as one of the best vintage altos I've ever played.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Cool. Great info here. I'm wondering now exactly how rare the silver sonic super 20's with pearls and gold inlay are and how much they are going for now. I've been checking the dealers websites and haven't seen any yet. Thanks again for the insight.

Registered
Cool. Great info here. I'm wondering now exactly how rare the silver sonic super 20's with pearls and gold inlay are and how much they are going for now. I've been checking the dealers websites and haven't seen any yet. Thanks again for the insight.
Best estimates are between 200-300 total altos and tenors. I saw a tenor in cosmetically rough shape go for 16k a few years ago, I think Quinn sold it. And this may be the one horn where the alto is worth more than the tenor.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
'Alto worth more than tenor.." haha! wow. interesting concept.

As I mentioned I heard Andrew Speight at the Monterey Jazz Festival jam session and saw him from the back of the room. Amazing clear bright sound!! When we talked (his horn was still at the bandstand) I said, "I like your king" and that is when he told me it was a Yani. Would have been cool for Yanigasawa to put the pearls on it and the gold leaf, ha! Regardless it (he) sounded beautiful.

Registered

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
His personalized Super 20 was sold at the famous Guernsey's Jazz auction in NYC in 2005. I've got the auction catalog with full description, stating S/N was 295173 (1947).

SilverSonic, full-pearls, with gold leaf engraving. Here a few pics of it:

View attachment 218534 View attachment 218536 View attachment 218538 View attachment 218540 View attachment 218542
Wow thats pretty cool . Mine is also 295 xxx . View attachment 236244
Any suggestions on the best way to sell it? Not fishing for offers just wondering ?
These are so rare I can't even find any sales comps. Seems like I'll have to go eBay ?

Registered
His personalized Super 20 was sold at the famous Guernsey's Jazz auction in NYC in 2005. I've got the auction catalog with full description, stating S/N was 295173 (1947).

SilverSonic, full-pearls, with gold leaf engraving. Here a few pics of it:

View attachment 218534 View attachment 218536 View attachment 218538 View attachment 218540 View attachment 218542
I know this is an old thread, but the Smithsonian recently acquired this horn. Great detail photos with the museum's special hyper-magnification feature here: Charlie Parker's Super 20

Registered
Awesome high res pics! I wish they offered them for download. Still great to see it with this much details! Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts