Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've gotten to the point where I am having a few gigs every week. It's usually w/ a few different bands. Most of them have plenty of extra mics, but I'm tired of getting a different sound at every gig and having to adjust. If i'm lucky, one of them will have a good instrument mic, but most are vocal mics, which you know, usually sound like sh** w/ a sax. It almost feels kinda like walking into a gig and asking to borrow a mouthpiece or a reed, doesn't feel/look professional at all. You never know if they are gonna give you a Rico plastic or a NY Meyer, if ya know what i mean.

I mostly play by feel, so I like to close my eyes and listen and move around when I play. I don't wanna have to worry about keeping my eyes open and standing still to make sure I am the right distance from the mic. I am really interested in the clip-on mics I have seen other horn players using. What would be a good one to get that's not too pricey and gets a good sound, and how much is it?? Don't really wanna spend $300-400 on a mic right now, if at all possible.

I mostly playing in decent sized bars and a few venues that hold about 200-300 people. Got a few festival gigs coming up to.

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Heil Sound PR20UT

- Large Diaphragm Dynamic
- Low Proximity Effect
- Wide Frequency Response: 50Hz-18kHz

These Heil Sound mics are quickly becoming the new standard. The PR30, 35, & 40 are all exceptional mics as well.

Of course, there's always the Shure SM57, with plenty of proximity effect.

Both of these mics are $100, but the PR20 will sound better on saxophone, with much less EQ adjustments, than with the SM57.

As far as clip-ons are concerned, I recommend the Sennheiser e 608.

These sound great on saxophone & trumpet, both of which aren't easy to mic well. They have a wide and even frequency response (40Hz-16kHz) and aren't too expensive.

There are plenty of clip-on options out there from Shure, Sennheiser, and others.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
For a wired mic, you can't go wrong with a sennheiser 421. But that won't allow you to move around.

A clip on wired mic? I dunno. Maybe the fore mentioned sennheiser one? A whole wireless mic system would be over the amount that you want to Spend

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've just bought a DPA 4099 clip on wired mic, which is great even for soprano. you need to spend some time finding the right angle to get the desired sound. But it may be a little to expensive for you I dunno...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
A Sennheiser 421 costs around $380 & the DPA 4099 $600.

Although both fabulous microphones, neither are in the OP's stated price range which is below $300.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
SHURE Beta 57A is my choice. "warm" sounding and hardy

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I like the SM57 for tenor and alto. But I like a condenser mic for sop and flute.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,446 Posts
I like the Sennheiser e835 or e935. Same quality and price as sm57 (sometimes cheaper). I think they sound more true on sax and vocals.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,686 Posts
If i'm lucky, one of them will have a good instrument mic, but most are vocal mics, which you know, usually sound like sh** w/ a sax.

Don't really wanna spend $300-400 on a mic right now, if at all possible.
I have a little trouble reconciling these two statements. Some will disagree with me and just say get a 57, but after dealing with the mic issue for years, I finally went with an RE-20. Finally I'm happy with the sound I get on a mic. Of course, the sound system, especially speakers, is also important. But I don't see you really solving this without spending at least $300-400. And probably more if you want to go wireless.

On a few rare gigs in certain venues I can play unmiked. What a treat that is.... But it's all too rare.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The EV RE20 and Sennheiser 421-MKII are two of the best sax mics out there.

The Heil Sound mics easily compete with these two mics at a lower price point.

Do some research into Bob Heil. He is an audio and ham radio genius.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,196 Posts
I have always used SM57 or 58's and recently bought a 421 Sennheiser and it is by far superior in sound. However that said if you have a budget or afraid to use something as expensive in a bar situation look at http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=genem

I have a bevy of the 57/58 copies and think them better sounding than the originals Shure design plus the cables and accessories are top notch.

B

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Heil Sound PR20UT

- Large Diaphragm Dynamic
- Low Proximity Effect
- Wide Frequency Response: 50Hz-18kHz

These Heil Sound mics are quickly becoming the new standard. The PR30, 35, & 40 are all exceptional mics as well......
This is the first I have ever heard of the Heil mics.
As a vocal mic only, have you (or anyone) ever compared the Heil PR20UT to the Sennheiser e835?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I just bought a Heil PR40. $325. Just tried it last night for the first time.

Compared to a similar cost R0de - same amount of clarity, much more in the balls factor (i.e., no crinkly highs, no empty mids). I like it, so far. More later.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use a Shure Beta 98 clip on mic. It's fairly standard and you get a "good" sound. I have very little complaints about it mic'ing my alto, but I don't feel I get even amplification from top to bottom on my tenor. May be that my alto projects a little better, but I've been searching for a new clip on when I have the cash.
The Beta 98 mic is around $200. If you want to go completely wireless where you don't have a line running to your belt, you'll also need the wireless receiver and belt pack... and the whole system including mic will run you between $500-600

·
Registered
528 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts