Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am considering getting an Otto Link. But not sure which model to get. Otto Link RG? Otto Link Tonemaster? Arc mpcs? New York model otto link?

I'm would be playing those on a martin handcraft vintage. Anyone have any idea?? and if possible, the combination of reed that work well with those mpc?

and one last thing. where can i get the best prices for all these mpcs?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Find a website that sells them all, order them all on trial, try them all out, keep the one you like best...

I'd start with JunkDude.com, and for that Martin Handcraft, I'd try the Morgan pieces too.

Why metal?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
The Otto Link STM NY is a great piece if you can find one that has a good facing. The cheapest way out on that is to find one for sale here on SOTW from a sax player that already knows the piece. But at $120 new, spending an extra $100 to have it refaced is not a bad deal.

The older Links have a little different tone than the new ones depending on the model. But finding a "good" vintage Link on-line is no sure thing and is probably just as difficult as finding new Link off the shelf that plays great.

·
Registered
218 Posts
TenTenTooter said:
Find a website that sells them all, order them all on trial, try them all out, keep the one you like best...
I'd be surprised and impressed if any US dealer would send mouthpieces on trial to Singapore.

For prices, easily the best prices are from the US if you can sort out import duties and the like. Here in England, US mouthpieces cost more in pounds than they do in dollars in the States, ie, more than twice as much.

I love my Otto NY Tenor, 9*. Plays great with Rico Jazz Selects on a Yani T992. Fabulous tone.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have an Otto link tone master best mouthpiece I have ever bought. With a 2 1/2 V16 reed it sounds amazing and I can subtone with it very easily.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
If you're buying a new one, the Super Tone Master is the way to go. You may need to get it perfected to make it work at its most efficient, but they can be good right out of the box.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,305 Posts
Get a super tone master 6*-7* and rico jazz select 2h-3s. That is a standard tip opening with a reed that tends to respond well on links (Doc T. tests all his links with RJS).

If you don't like the response or resistance, for about $100 any of the board's mouthpiece refacers can make it significantly more efficient without changing the basic sound.

Junkdude.com is an excellent place to get your link...as well as your box of rico jazz selects

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Get in touch with a mouthpiece refacer like Mojo or EZ and have them buy you a Link and reface it to your preference. You'll have a mouthpiece that will play great and you won't have to screw around with return shipping.

Myself I prefer the NY links refaced by Mojo, I also have a STM done by Keith, but I much prefer the NY profile.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
JonF992 said:
I'd be surprised and impressed if any US dealer would send mouthpieces on trial to Singapore.
I used a Florida Link STM for years then took the plunge with
Jody Jazz.

Jody was kind enough to send mouthpieces all the way to New Zealand
for me to trial. That's a few thousand miles south of Singapore.

Of course he takes a credit card number and reserves the transaction
in case you do not return it. He's a great guy but he is not stupid.

I explained to Jody via email that by the time I received it and returned
it, that would extend way beyond their usual trial time.

He said take as long as you want, but just keep in touch and let
him know how I'm getting on.

As a result, and to the detriment of my bank balance, I eventually
purchased three JJ's.
1) JJ DV
2) JJ ESP
3) JJ DV NY

All of these pieces are great. I kept all three because I wanted to
spend more time developing a sound on them.

Currently I tend to play the JJ DV NY. Before that I loved the ease
and fat sound of the ESP.

I had the Link refaced and it's a great mpc, but for me, I now prefer
the JJ's.

You have nothing to lose with these because of the trial option,
however, if you return them, you still pay the freight charges.

Just send Jody an email and explain your situation. You can
get the addy from their website.

Jody tests all the pieces before shipping so they play great straight
out of the box.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use a metal link Super Tone Master 7* with rico royal 1 1\2 and I feel great.
On my Conn Chu alto I like my metal Berg 80 2 SMS with rico royal 1 1\2, or, difficult to control but once you get used really screaming, a Dukoff M9 with Rico Royal 1 1\2.
You have to work a little bit on control and intonation, but in my opinion all these work great..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I use a Mojo Millennium Link STM 7*, with a baffle. Great, versatile piece.

For tenor reeds I use LaVoz Medium.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
The best metal Links are made by Freddie Gregory and Phil Barone. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts