Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market of alto mark 6 and came up with this alto mark 6 made in 1972 serial M196732.

Now, my questions are:

1. from the first time it was made (1956) until the last time it was made (1975?) which year is the best?

2. With the recent thread about re lacqed mark 6, how do I know if it was relacqed? Considering that I would be buying this one on line.

3. How much money is actually an alto mark 6 worth, i've seen some ridicoulous price and some fair prices, would the year it was made play significant role?

4. Asking price of this alto mark 6 with the above serial number is $2150, is it considered cheap, fair or expensive?

5. Would mark 6 neck has distinctive mark? How do i know that the sax that i am about to buy has original neck?

I will post some pictures in my photobucket later on but the guy claims that this mark 6 doesnt have dings or dents, no soldering marks, but the lacquer has some scratches and marks.

I need help from sax or selmer expert please.

Regards
ivan

·
Registered
173 Posts
Im not an expert but heres what I think ...

1. No way to answer this, there are good, bad and mediocre in all years. From playing a number of V1's it is my personal view that they tend to get brighter in tone as the serial gets higher. 50s horns are lush and dark, 70's horns are bright and edgy, 60's are in between.

2. Other people can tell you how to spot a relaq. I like relaqs as it keeps the price down and they play just as good as original laq - as long as it wasnt done by a complete idiot.

3. 5 digit serial numbers command the highest prices. Original laquer and its condition is the other factor, then provenance - was it owned by a name player. Price generally seems in no way linked to quality of the instrument.

4. Sounds ok for UK market. US market tends to be cheaper

5. I believe US assembled horns have MkV1 stampd on the neck and a serial inside to match neck and body. Paris assembled horns have no distinguishing marks on the neck.

I wouldnt spend that amount of money without playing the horn first. Can you get a trial period?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
214 Posts
There is a guy who is in England who has an ad on
Craigslist for a VI tenor that sounds like this. Even though the
ad looks like it is comeng from the U.S. you don't find that out
until you reply. It may be a different guy, and a different situation, but beware.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
mjs10 says: I am in the market of alto mark 6 and came up with this alto mark 6 made in 1972 serial M196732.

Now, my questions are: (answers in bold from Hurling Frootmig)

1. from the first time it was made (1956) until the last time it was made (1975?) which year is the best?

You really have to play the horns. No one year stands out. Certain serial number ranges have differ due to the ever evolving design of the horn. I play an 87k which is considered to be one of the prime zones and it is a great horn. Others like the horns between 100k and 140k. They generally get brighter the newer the example.

2. With the recent thread about re lacqed mark 6, how do I know if it was relacqed? Considering that I would be buying this one on line.

You should deal with a reputable shop on this issue. Look for the signs of buffing and shallow engraving. Mark VI lacquer has a distinctive look on the older horns.

3. How much money is actually an alto mark 6 worth, i've seen some ridicoulous price and some fair prices, would the year it was made play significant role?

Take a look at online sources like saxquest.com, junkdude.com, usahorn.com, and worldwidesax.com for a feel of what a dealer might charge for a horn in good playing condition. Expect to pay less from an individual. The older the VI the more it tends to be worth. The better condition the horn the better the value. The most important aspect is to play test it. If a relacquered horn plays great then buy it and enjoy it.

4. Asking price of this alto mark 6 with the above serial number is $2150, is it considered cheap, fair or expensive?

Without pictures and an examination of the horn it is hard to say but typically that would be a very reasonable price for an original lacquer horn. I couldn't speak the the price on a re-lacquered horn.

5. Would mark 6 neck has distinctive mark? How do i know that the sax that i am about to buy has original neck?

The lacquer color between the neck and the horn should match. Mark VI necks have a distinctive shield on them.

I will post some pictures in my photobucket later on but the guy claims that this mark 6 doesnt have dings or dents, no soldering marks, but the lacquer has some scratches and marks.

I need help from sax or selmer expert please.

Regards
ivan

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pictures that the guy sent me, they are a bit blurred and out of focused I am trying to ask him to send me more focused pictures but any opinion please...

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hmm, why i cant see the pictures, says I may have user restriction or trying to edit someone else's post???

But here is to summary what the sax look like:

1. It is silver lacquer
2. looks like it has been meticulously maintained with very little scratches
3. Its not engraved obviously
4. Neck looks original and has the same kind of tone color.

More questions now:

1. I would love to have a mark 6 with engraving, is a mark 6 without engraving has less value from those have?
2. The pictures are a bit blurred or out of focus but from considering it is out of focus, I think this one has original lacquer, would you agree? Of course its better to wait till he send me better pictures but i am too excited to be patient hehehe.
3. Judging from these pictures, what do you think in relation to asking price, would you buy it for $2150?

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just talked to the guy on the phone, he said the sax actually has engraving!!! He will try to take more shots he said he got only cheap small digital camera and he will ask his friend with better camera to take more pictures of it tomorrow.

Considering this has engraving now, do you think its a good buy?

I know some of you say i need to try it but the thing is... this sax is overseas now, it is from Indonesia. And to return it to the seller suppose if it is not as described is not really an option.

The reason I really want this is that the lacquer is silver, just what I want, and this guy is indonesian musician (he gave me few reference to contact with if I dont believe him).

I have checked USAhorn and they have a similar sax but the price is well over $3000 and few even more than $4000

To tell you the truth I am like 50% worried and 50% excited

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Honestly..I wouldn't take the chance. That's a really cheap price for a mark VI alto in that kind of condition. Silver plate could bring the price up just a bit too. I don't know..something just doesn't seem right.

·
Banned
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jacobeid said:
Honestly..I wouldn't take the chance. That's a really cheap price for a mark VI alto in that kind of condition. Silver plate could bring the price up just a bit too. I don't know..something just doesn't seem right.
Okay, i will tell you a bit of my secret reason...

Yeah I thought the price is real a bargain too. If I am to think positively, I heard from a friend that there are still some numbers of selmer mark 6 in Asia. They were imported to countries such as singapore, indonesia, philipines, thailand, etc. And those that were imported has actually more superior quality control rather than those sold in US (they cant afford to return the saxes back). And when I saw this sax and because of the picture is blurred and out of focus, it didnt seem to have engraving, and I was stunned for a moment there because he (my friend) then said, every one of selmers exported to ASIA has engraving!!! ANd actually this guy just told me on the phone that the sax has engraving its just the poor picture quality of his creative brand digi cam.

He then said few sax collectors from the us and europe actually travel to these country to hunt these asian exported selmers because they are more looked after by the owner because they were considered expensive in the time they were exported. And only small numbers were exported.

So if you see some georgeous originall looking mark 6 in shops, many of them actually came from these countries. Believe it or not!!!!

And because saxophone is not as popular musical instrument in countries such as indonesia (country with more than 260 million but you can count good sax players by your left or right hand fingers), and also because of lack of knowledge, these sax were sold to westerners for like 30% of its european value. So a sax with $5000 value in US may be sold for only $1500.

But in time, they have found out that these sax worths like diamonds in US or europe then they get more greedy and sell them for more.

An Indonesian friend of mine (also a musician) told me this, and he helps me look for a good alto selmer mark 6 sax from Indo and he found this ad on local indonesian internet music community in which i dont understand a word they are talking about. He said, its a gamble but the chance is pretty good.

It has silver lacquer, yes I love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts