Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out which Kessler Custom alto mouthpiece I bought on eBay. It's marked "Kessler Custom, Las Vegas, Nevada" on the body and the only other marking says "NY" to the right rear of the table, player's orientation. The tip opening is .083", it's just slightly shorter (1/8") than a current prod Meyer, and it has a round chamber and scooped sidewalls. All of these suggest the "NYPro" large chamber mouthpiece, but the chamber looks more like what I would call a medium chamber, with no step at the throat.

Incidentally, it plays very well. Not as quick and free as your typical Meyer, but a thick, deep sound that stays that way in the upper register. I really like it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Sounds like a NYPro to me, judging by the tip opening and the scooped sidewalls. The latter is what makes it a large chamber as opposed to a medium, I believe. (Morgans are similar - you can't really see much of a difference in the chamber size between an 'M' and an 'L' if you look at it through the throat, but the 'L' has the scooped sidewalls). I've been thinking for a while about trying out both of his alto pieces, since I am enjoying his tenor piece so much (OL7Pro).

·
9,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pc1234 said:
Sounds like a NYPro to me, judging by the tip opening and the scooped sidewalls. The latter is what makes it a large chamber as opposed to a medium, I believe. (Morgans are similar - you can't really see much of a difference in the chamber size between an 'M' and an 'L' if you look at it through the throat, but the 'L' has the scooped sidewalls). I've been thinking for a while about trying out both of his alto pieces, since I am enjoying his tenor piece so much (OL7Pro).
The website says the NYSS is a 5 Meyer at .785, and that the NYSS-7 is a 7 Meyer. I don't think a 7 could be only .83 if the 5 is .785, right? So I tend to agree with you. Also I think Kessler has said on the forum that the large chambers are less popular. If this is it, I can believe it - I suspect it is much less free-blowing than many would like.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Yes, I think you're right. Kessler's "Meyer" measurements are more in line with the old Meyers, not the new, so his "Meyer 7" is probably more open than a modern day Meyer 7.

Dave told me on the phone a few months ago that more than 90% of the players who try out his custom alto pieces go with the NY-SS over the NYPro, for the very reason you've identified - freeness of response. I think that alot of people start out on 'M' chambers, making the initial switch to an 'L' a little daunting at first, which is why the NY-SS wins so often on a first impression basis. But I'm betting that that larger chambered piece sounds pretty sweet with some getting-used-to. Enjoy that piece!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The website says the NYSS is a 5 Meyer at .785, and that the NYSS-7 is a 7 Meyer. I don't think a 7 could be only .83 if the 5 is .785, right?
I've been playing on the NYSS-7 for about a year now and really like it alot. I do find that I need to drop down 1/2 reed strength to make it resopnd the way I want. But, every time I play on some of my other pieces I always return to the Kessler. I enjoy the warm and fat sound but can be pushed to get close to the sound of a piece with a higher baffle.

By the way the 7 does indeed measure .083".

Kevin

·
9,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fearless said:
I've been playing on the NYSS-7 for about a year now and really like it alot. I do find that I need to drop down 1/2 reed strength to make it resopnd the way I want. But, every time I play on some of my other pieces I always return to the Kessler. I enjoy the warm and fat sound but can be pushed to get close to the sound of a piece with a higher baffle.

By the way the 7 does indeed measure .083".

Kevin
Kevin, can I ask what your mouthpiece says on it? Anything near as lacking in specifics as mine?

·
Banned
280 Posts
chitown - I recently (within the past two weeks) received both a NYSS and a NY Pro alto mpcs from Kesslers. They both had NY on the barrel at the bottom of the table. The NYSS had 'Kessler Custom Las Vegas' on it, while the NY Pro had simply "Kessler Custom" on it.

I would say what you have is the NYSS #7.

Just email some pics to Dave Kessler. He will respond.

·
Registered
30 Posts
chitownjazz said:
Kevin, can I ask what your mouthpiece says on it? Anything near as lacking in specifics as mine?
Has "NY" engraved on the side of the body near the table and just above the shank. That's it! The silk screening on top has worn off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts