Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a companion to the Your Favorite Jazz Biography thread and the (incomplete) list I compiled on Wikipedia.

Which jazz musician would you most like to read a first/better biography of?

There's a bio-discography of Cannonball listed on Amazon. I haven't seen it, but it's described as a "major discographical study". Assuming that means it's short on biographical detail, I'd love to read more about his life in a full-fledged bio. There are lots of elements I'd really like to know more about: his adult life in Florida, his personal life (I don't even know if he was ever married or had any children), and how he got that sound :bluewink:. My impression is that he was a humble and kind man, especially for a guy who was at the top of his field, and I wonder if that impression is accurate.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
It's dumbfounding to me that a majorly great biography has not yet been written about Sonny Rollins. I mean, C'mon: Sonny Fuggin' Rollins! N'est-ce the frick pas?! I'm *swearing* here. Don't make me angry.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,106 Posts
Sonny may have declared his intent not to cooperate. I'm sure many writers have wanted to tell his story.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Eric Nisenson's book, while it was pretty pathetic for a biography, definitely attributed many quotes of Rollins that were told to the author. Sonny must have been up for it, at least at one point in time.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jon Klopotowski's book, "A Jazz Life," while not a biography of Warne Marsh, gives a real insight into the guy and his music. Someone REALLY needs to pick up and publish this book. It's the best jazz-related (prose) book I've ever read, by a large margin.
Sounds great. There are already two biographies of Warne out there, so unfortunately it's probably a tough sell to a publisher.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Dexter Gordon. Stan Britt's book is fine as an overview, but I'd like to see someone dig really deep.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
I completely agree. "A Jazz Life" is a great read. Jon deserves a lot of credit for his labor of love.

Jon Klopotowski's book, "A Jazz Life," while not a biography of Warne Marsh, gives a real insight into the guy and his music. Someone REALLY needs to pick up and publish this book. It's the best jazz-related (prose) book I've ever read, by a large margin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts