Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to ask Joe Allard,Paul Cohen or some well respected sax prof which is THE horn to really conquer your technique with...what would the answer be???

ive spent a little over 4 years now getting to know the instrument called saxophone,and now it feels good...I can also say,that now i feel comfortable on alto as well..... Im doing a tour this winter on trumpet(my nuts and berries(if you havent seen Mr. Saturday Night do it!!!)) and im gonna have plenty of free time to practice...i plan to really get down with the Mule,deVille studies slonimsky...you know,all the stuff i ignore presently....

so the question is which horn will give me the most bang for my buck,tenor or alto??? ......aside from the obvious point that the alto is easier to travel with

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Omar,
Its better to play the horn you like playing regardless of it being SATB... It will be more inspiring to play. I toyed with the idea of playing curvy sop for practice sessions, but my tenor playing suffered as a result.

If you want to get better on the horn, you got to play THAT specific horn. No two ways about it. Play tenor.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Definitely the tenor. But I'm partial to tenors, so my advice is only worth what it's worth. Just invest on the one you like listening to the most.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to better define the topic

as the instrument to most solidly engrain proper saxophone technique not pertaining to which has more literature,solos,or which you like best

Im starting to think maybe its not a sax at all but clarinet

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
That New King of yours will do just fine. I'm playing in Munich in December, if you have time, let's meet. I'd like to see that horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Im starting to think maybe its not a sax at all but clarinet
A trumpet player making that kind of statement at a SAXOPHONE forum needs to find the door. :twisted:

If you have to ask which horn to play, you've either not yet found it or you never will.

Tenor - It's all that matters (to me, IMNSHO).

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man,id love to se YOU play....unfortunately that's the time ill be on tour....

im still not so sure im getting an answer to the question......warp says the tenor is fine....jzer21 says academically speaking...im not 100% sure what that means!!!

im not asking about personal preferences which is why Im leaving mine out!!!! im asking whether technically ,one sax,over all the rest,techniquewise is considered to be the fundimental essence of the saxophone.....so that becoming proficient on it ,all other saxes then come in line. hence my clarinet comment

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
im asking whether technically ,one sax,over all the rest,techniquewise is considered to be the fundimental essence of the saxophone.....so that becoming proficient on it ,all other saxes then come in line.
The answer to that is "No". Each horn is equally good in that regard - and none will make you the master of all the others without the requisite time spent on each to learn its idiosyncracies.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there's an answer I can understand!!! thanx doc

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
to better define the topic

as the instrument to most solidly engrain proper saxophone technique not pertaining to which has more literature,solos,or which you like best

im starting to think maybe its not a sax at all but clarinet
noooo!!!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...now I definately think its clarinet...an instrument so [email protected]#$ing hard nobody wants to play it!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Clarinet isn't hard, it's just the whole thinking in 12ths that throws ya for a loop! (at least it kicks my arse in that regard!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just to add to the confusion and probably vote for an unpopular choice. SOPRANO

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Jazz World: Mostly Tenor

Classical world: Mostly Alto

They all take their own practice time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
If you wanna be proficient on all the saxophones studying just one instrument, that'd be alto or bass clarinet

·
Banned
29 Posts
But Omar, Dude,

You just bought a perfect and, IMHO, kickin' tenor. This is no time to question the reasoning. Clarinet, Alto, Soprano, trumpet, ophicleide, the roads eventually all lead back to the tenor saxophone. Think how many great jazz heads changed around but aways came back to tenor. It is the instrument of our soul and the one you bought is a superior axe with bags of soul included.

But, then, I could be wrong.

Your Pal Siggy

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i just got a backup new king as well!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts