Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure which is best...... Looking to buy, just one of these puppies, a Conn 22m tenor sax, Conn 16m tenor sax OR King Cleveland tenor sax all are used and about same-- good to excellent condition. Which would be best choice for durability and heavy and/or fat sound.
Thanks Ya'll!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,511 Posts
I have heard that the Cleveland is a stencil or a lower class sax.

Is the Conn 22m a connqueror, because if it is, it is the best.

I think that the Conn 16m is a Mexiconn. I am really not sure which is which here.

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
The 16M is not a mexiconn, it is actually a very nice playing horn. A later model with the same shooting stars engraving, the 50M, was made in Mexico and much less of a horn than the 16M.

·
14,358 Posts
Carrington: Unfortuantely, unless you've played these specific saxophones (or someone posting here has played them), your question is difficult to answer. The reason is that all saxophones vary, even among similar models. A lot has to do with the way the individual saxophone is set-up (pad heigths, spring tension, etc.). I would think they all COULD play well.

Have YOU played these horns, or are they Internet based with a need to ship to you? DAVE

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which is best??

Thanks for the info, does help!
Both are internet based sales.;)
So which without playing might be better Conn 16m or Conn22m?:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
My 2 cents.

Some good posts here,hope I can help. Have played 38 yrs. Budget wasn't mentioned. But if you can, you might try a Selmer Super Action, and if you want to really get what I think are great horns, a Selmer (Paris) Reference. I have a Reference (Paris) alto and tenor. It took me some time however to find the mouthpiece for the tenor that would project with brillance like the Super Session that came with the alto. Something just got lost in the Reference tenor factory mouthpiece. If you have not tried these horns, do some web search on them. I really get a lot of compliments on the range, from bright and edgy all the way to the soft from the soul sounds. Good Luck.

·
3,240 Posts
16M is a pan american based horn and a good robusk animal as is a cleveland (both 2nd line horns). Go for the 16m first then king
Dave

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
saxymanzach said:
The 16M is not a mexiconn, it is actually a very nice playing horn. A later model with the same shooting stars engraving, the 50M, was made in Mexico and much less of a horn than the 16M.
Actually, a good portion of 16Ms were made in Mexico; hence, "MexiConn." The tell-tales for these are red felts and serial numbers beginning with a letter. Although some of these are good players, from what I've read it can be hit and miss.

An early 16M made in Elkhart, IN, would be a good choice. Check saxpics.com for the appropriate serial number range for these. Also, do not rule out a late model King Zephyr. You can sometimes pick up one of these on ebay for the same price as an early (mid to late 50's) 16M, and they are pretty much pro calibre, like the early 16M. Both of these horns would definitely be professional grade when compared to many of the Tawainese horns on the market today.

Also, I believe the earlier poster was thinking of a 30M, aka the Conn "Conquerer". The Conn 22M is of much lower quality (and value).

·
3,240 Posts
16M is a pan american based horn and a good robusk animal as is a cleveland (both 2nd line horns). Go for the 16m first then king
Dave

I was talking about the earlier 16m with wire key guards
Dave

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
Swingtone said:
Actually, a good portion of 16Ms were made in Mexico; hence, "MexiConn." The tell-tales for these are red felts and serial numbers beginning with a letter. Although some of these are good players, from what I've read it can be hit and miss.

An early 16M made in Elkhart, IN, would be a good choice. Check saxpics.com for the appropriate serial number range for these. Also, do not rule out a late model King Zephyr. You can sometimes pick up one of these on ebay for the same price as an early (mid to late 50's) 16M, and they are pretty much pro calibre, like the early 16M. Both of these horns would definitely be professional grade when compared to many of the Tawainese horns on the market today.

Also, I believe the earlier poster was thinking of a 30M, aka the Conn "Conquerer". The Conn 22M is of much lower quality (and value).
The Mexiconns were the 50Ms, I believe. The same egraving, different horn.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Conn's production moved to Nogales, Mexico, around 1960. The Director (16M) was introduced in 1955. So that's only five years into production. This model, though it may have been renamed the 50M at some point, was produced until approx. 1974. BTW I'm getting all of this from saxpics.com. Though I may be wrong, it makes sense to me that all Director models produced in Nogales could be labelled as "Mexiconn's." Again, I may be wrong but I am betting that some (if not a lot) of the Conn's made in the early 60s (only 5 or so years into production) were still labelled as 16M's; thus these would be true Mexiconn's. Does anyone know what year the change-over from the 16M to the 50M occurred?

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
I was just rereading saxpics's page on the Director again, and he advises to take a pass if it says "made in Mexico." Given this, a good rule of thumb might be to avoid any 16M's made in the 1960s (i.e., only buy those made from 1955 to '59 or thereabouts).

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Dave dix said:
Simple , wire guards buy it but sheet metal give it a miss
Dave
Sounds good to me. One thing to remember is that all of these horns had the "Shooting Stars" engraving for the entire production run (1955-1974?). So to be sure you have to go by the serial numbers, the key guards and whether it says "Made in Mexico."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts