Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had the option to buy a used Bundy, a used Conn 20M or a new prelude, what would you get. It would be my first sax...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Why just those? And didn't you post the same question before saying the Bundy and the Conn needed work?

I'd look for like a used Yamaha 23 before going with a Selmer Prelude

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why just those? And didn't you post the same question before saying the Bundy and the Conn needed work?

I'd look for like a used Yamaha 23 before going with a Selmer Prelude
Mb because its cheaper or those are the only horns near him locally? but yas 23 is a good suggestion. You can get a vito, some are built by yamaha

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
depends on your budget... ...
if possible, we can at times get good horns at good discounts. keep hunting.
do not ignore Yamaha, Yanagisawa.
test if possible before you buy. dun be too brand conscious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly, those are the only options right now in Costa Rica where I live, not even the Yamahas are available right now at the stores, sold out. Nothing for the next three - four months. And I want to start playing sooner.
The options are a new cheap Chinese horn, the used Bundy, the used Conn 20M and a new Prelude.
I heard that the Selmer Preludes are made in China, so maybe it's the same thing as the chinese horns but over priced because of the brand...
I'm not so worried about the brand, actually I don't really know about brands but when you buy a good thing (in any area, not only instruments) It helps you, its more friendly, sound better, I play the guitar and my guitar is a very good one and It's a pleasure to play it, even it's a old and ugly one...
So back to my options thats what my budget allows me for the moment, taking in cosideration that I'm an absolute beginner, because in a store I found a Yamaha 62 for almos 3000, and I can't go for that one, not now...
So I would apreciate your coments about this options.
Thanks y'all

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm not familiar with international shipping. Is it way too cost-prohibitive to personally contact a reputable used horn dealer in the U.S. and have it shipped?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,596 Posts
Geez, what a choice. I would pick the cheapest one that I could resell for what I paid for it, taking into consideration any work it needs. (You don't want to be stuck with a sax you don't like because you can't get your money out of it.) My guess is that using this criteria, the best choice would be the Bundy, assuming the price is good and it doesn't need too much work. The new horns will lose value by becoming used.

But I think jonnieboy asks a good question - JayeSF on here, for example, usually has some much better budget-priced saxes than those three, and I believe he will ship internationally.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
Rigos...what is your budget, exactly ? I ship to Central and S. America fairly often.

Not to confuse you even more....if I had to choose from the list, I would have to go with the Bundy...which I find myself shocked at even saying (!). The 20M was arguably Conn's worst alto ever...it wasn't even made at the Conn factory...it was subcontracted elsewhere; the best which can be said for it is that it is very, very sturdy and well-built. I would avoid the chinese horns, regardless of who's name is on it. So that leaves the Bundy, which most folks would say is a decent horn for a beginner when in good playing shape.

But...if you are going to pay over $400usd for any of these....then I can offer you something better than any of those....or you can possibly find another seller who can do so, also.

Your options are the 4 you have found near you....or, as Jonnieboy says, buying from a seller who ships internationally. But it would help to know how much you can spend....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody and thanks a lot JayeSF, thats the help I needed from you guys...
My budget is limited for the moment, I would say I can spend a maximum of $700 including the shipping.
Other thing about the used saxes is that I'm such a beginner that I wouldn't know how to evaluate a used sax, if it is in a good condition or if it is completely messed up. A friend of mine is coming with me to check them out on tuesday (he is a very young and good sax player) so I hope he knows.
Do you have something that can work for me JayeSF ?
Around how much can a overhaul cost for the bundy?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,596 Posts
Overhaul costs vary greatly by location. Around here they can cost $700-900, but most other places are cheaper (some by a lot). You should find out how much overhauls cost near you. I have bought two horns from JayeSF, and my experience was that the horns were ready to play. They had not been fully overhauled, but had been put in good basic playing shape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts