Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting fellow bari enthusiasts! The last few days I have been lurking on the forums trying to figure out what harness/sling to get for my YBS 52. I am looking for a harness/sling that will minimize fatigue from standing with it for a several hours and that will also allow me to do choreographed moves with out compromising my sound. Currently I am looking to get either a Gemini Harness, a Neo Sling, a B.A Sling, or a Wittman Spinstrap. Thanks in advance!

- Marty

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the gemini and love it, however....the choreography could be a problem. I think you might want to consider the Ligaphone Strap-Harness. Although I have never tried it, it looks interesting.

From their website:

...the instrument weight is evenly distributed on the shoulders, just like a standard harness, while the musician keeps complete freedom of movement as if it were a strap.

Sounds nice, and there is a picture on their website.

http://www.ligaphone.com/htm/anglais/strap-harness.htm

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
I can vouch for the BA Sling and the Slider Strap; both work well on a bari.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I bought the NeoTech harness for my Low A Bari and found it did not give freedom of movement and it was not possible to raise it high enough so that i was not always looking at the floor while playing. I happened to try out the BG Harness XL-For Men, model S43SH (see this link), and found it easily adjustable so that i could look straight ahead, while distributing the weight and giving much greater freedom of movement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Ive decided to go with the Slider Strap, though right now you cant order it online from Slider Straps site.... They still sell these right?

- Marty

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,260 Posts
A long time ago, I used to see ads for a thing called the Shoulder Ryde Harness. It looked like ot was comfortable and roomy enough to make holding the bari while standing enjoyable and very strap-like. I have asked on here about these but have not gotten any responses. I would love to get one, but cannot find any listing or information about these today. Anyone every hear of these?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
They still sell these right?
If you can't get one off the Slider site, try calling them. I think you can also get one from SaxQuest.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Conrado said:
I bought the NeoTech harness for my Low A Bari and found it did not give freedom of movement and it was not possible to raise it high enough so that i was not always looking at the floor while playing.
I have the NeoTech. It comes in several sizes, so perhaps you had the wrong size. It would depend, I guess, on your height and girth. I bought the Regular size. By adjusting the side straps I got my low Bb bari to where I can actually play it for a set standing up. Prior to getting the NeoTech harness and using a conventional neckstrap (also a NeoTech), about two tunes was all I could manage.

The NeoTech harness at the same adjustment is perfect for my Mark vi tenor, too, and it makes it feel like a feather. I'm sold on the NeoTech.

http://www.neotechstraps.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=7&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=4

(uncompensated, unsolicited endorsement)

·
Yes, one of the neck strap guys.
135 Posts
Conrado said:
I bought the NeoTech harness for my Low A Bari and found it did not give freedom of movement and it was not possible to raise it high enough so that i was not always looking at the floor while playing...
It sounds like you probably had our Soft Harness, which does not allow the range of movement that our Super Harness does. The Super Harness has a self-adjusting slider that allows much freer side-to-side positioning than the Soft Harness. (You can see it at http://www.neotechstraps.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=9&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=4)

Often people will say they tried the Neotech strap or harness without realizing that we do in fact make many different models of straps and harnesses in an effort to accommodate most players' needs and preferences.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
I have the Soft Harness. It allows all the movement I need. Which is movement of my fingers. I don't do all that stage jumping around that younger players do. When I was a kid that was for guitar players. I can't imagine why a bari player wants to dance. Mulligan didn't move much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Al Stevens said:
I can't imagine why a bari player wants to dance.
Yeah, if I wanted to dance I'd have joined the Royal flippin' Ballet!

It might look swish to swing saxes around while playing, but it's not so swish taking the dents out after a collision.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
Chris Peryagh said:
Yeah, if I wanted to dance I'd have joined the Royal flippin' Ballet!

It might look swish to swing saxes around while playing, but it's not so swish taking the dents out after a collision.
Although I agree in principal, choreographed moves have been part and parcel of marching bands, big bands, soul bands, and salsa bands.

It ain't dancin' it's choreography.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the reason I have to mess with choreography is I am in the Green Garter Band. The group is basically an elite pep band consisting of only 12 people, only we preform year round at various sporting events ( volleyball games, tailgating on game day, basket ball, and the odd softball game) , and other events. Also it gets me a full book scholarship:) Anyways Ive ordered a slider strap from a different site.

- Marty

·
Registered
654 Posts
Neotech said:
It sounds like you probably had our Soft Harness, which does not allow the range of movement that our Super Harness does. The Super Harness has a self-adjusting slider that allows much freer side-to-side positioning than the Soft Harness. (You can see it at http://www.neotechstraps.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=9&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=4)

Often people will say they tried the Neotech strap or harness without realizing that we do in fact make many different models of straps and harnesses in an effort to accommodate most players' needs and preferences.
Neotech - Thanks for your post.

Actually, the Super Harness is the model that i have. I think the design limitation is the fact that the clip is too close to the body, whereas the harness i recently purchased has a cross strap that allows some additional flexibility allowing the clip on mechanism to extend some distance away from the body. It also has a limited range of vertical adjustment, whereas the replacement I purchased has vertical adjustment straps on both sides and allows you to go as high as you want. So the combination of additional forward flexibility (away from the body) and vertical adjustment are, at least in my opinion, more optimal for support and overall freedom of movement.

·
135 Posts
Ah, I see. It's just a never-ending journey to try to come up with an "ideal" strap or harness...

Our latest iteration of the Super Harness does not have a hook connector at all, it has a loop connector. Basically the loop forms a slip-knot through the connection ring on the sax and then fastens to the harness. Certainly a less-rigid connection!

It sounds like you've found a solution that works for you, so get on out there and have a ball playing!

Cheers!

Frank

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just ordered a Slider harness for use with my bari. I was unable to place the order on their web site, so I had to call the company. They recommended a medium size for me. It is way too big! I could send it back and get a small size, but I need to start using it now (if I don't, it will likely mean another trip to the chiropractor, which will cost as much as the harness). So I decided to take it to a shoe shop to have 9" taken off of each strap.

I think the choice of harness size probably depends not on your height, but your chest size and the distance between the ring on your sax and the mouthpiece. I have about a 32" chest.

I will probably be replacing the thin plastic swivel hook. They say it is strong enough for a bari, but I don't believe it. I'm considering replacing it with a HM-702 (6213) from
http://www.umei.com/hooks-s.htm

·
Registered
35 Posts
man, i played on a friend's neotech harness and i had the same problem. i felt like even when drawn up all the way i was hunching over to get to the mpc. but i dig the mobility and cushioning of the plain ol' neotech strap. it's just dang, by the end of a couple hours... my neck is sore.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
I've found the Brancher Crescent strap to work well especially since I can use it for tenor and bari.

·
135 Posts
Just FYI, I just came from one of our engineers' office and he showed me a preliminary prototype of a harness with a different hook connection allowing it to adjust about 2" shorter than before, which ought to help players who have not been able to adjust a harness short enough.

I'll post more info as it is closer to being ready for market.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts