Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As written in the title... is there a synthetic reed that sound like a LaVoz reed?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts
The only one I'm familiar with is a Fibracell, and it does not come close to LaVoz. I didn't like it at all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've bought a Hahn reed n° 2,5 from Sax.co.uk, about one year ago! I don't know if something changed. That reed was stiff as steel and had a sound very far frome the LaVoz.
I played it for about a 2 hours, I ended with a big cut on the inferior lip (on that reed the sides are very edgy). Next day I sold the reed to a "classical" friend.

I know Filippo (from Sax&Dintorni) uses and sells Hahn reeds.
I told him few times I feel (IMHO) he plays confortable and smoother with cane reeds (after I've listened to some of him samples).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,167 Posts
I switched from La Voz to Legere's. I still sound like me. The studio cut is a little buzzier which I like for rock gigs. The signature sounds identical to cane with one exception. They all work all the time with no adjustment, fiddling, warping, sanding, clipping, burning, soaking, or other reed voodoo I went through while using cane. Now I have a bunch of free time I use to post here ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,230 Posts
I played it for about a 2 hours, I ended with a big cut on the inferior lip (on that reed the sides are very edgy). Next day I sold the reed to a "classical" friend..
I'm using Hahns since more than 4 years ago and never had that problem. Probably your reed was too hard. When using synthetic reeds you could use a very hard reed because the reed will sound anyway but after some time of hard playing your inferior lip could start to hurt. This is not due the reed itself, this is a consequence of using very hard reeds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts