Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about band camp this summer - and last year I had an incredable time in CT, -but for some of the jam sessions it was a pain to borrow a Bb fake book all of the time - and there wasn't always a spare one around.

Can anyone recommend a good Dixieland fake book?

Thanks in advance!:D
John

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Grumps said:
The only one you'll need:
Dixieland Fake Book
Only if you like real vanilla and often wrong changes. Dave (an old friend of mine from my DC days) is a stickler for publishing only the chords that were originally published with a tune. In many cases, the published changes are written for tone deaf ukelele players, and jazz players long ago fixed them.

·
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Grumps - that's actually the one I had been leaning towards.

Al - if you don't think it's an accurate guide - how about a suggestion then?

Thanks

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
hgrail,

If you don't have Finale, go here:

http://www.finalemusic.com/

and download the free Finale Notepad music notation editor.

Then go here:
http://www.alstevens.com/tunes/BbDixieCharts/

This folder has about 200 dixie tunes for Bb instruments in the Finale .MUS format. I can't vouch for all the changes because I haven't looked them all over. The ones I have looked at are reasonable.

You can right-click on any file and do a "save target as" to download the file.

Do this soon, because I won't be leaving these files online for long.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,005 Posts
Al Stevens said:
Dave (an old friend of mine from my DC days)...
I met him at a jam session at a wake for cornet player we both knew. I didn't know who he was at the time, and after striking up a conversation I figured I'd show off my brand new dixieland book. Yeah, that's mine, he said. No it isn't, I told him. It's got my name on it. It's got my name on it too, he then pointed out. Well, I could use one in Bb, I chided. And having just jammed with me he added, yeah, I know...

I do know what you mean about "fixed" chords, but there's a certain amount of joy to that book that transcends such critical review.

·
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the Links and tunes AL-

I haven't worked with Finale before - I'll have to get to know it - I've heard many good things-

John

·
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All set Al.

Thank you,

John

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
There was a clarinet player, Mac McGowen, in that circle who passed away a few years back. I don't remember a cornet player named Mac. But I've been away from there a while and lost touch with some of the guys.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,005 Posts
Mac was a retired Navy bandsmen and a great leader on the stage. He was a very short man, and not one you'd forget. Our dixieland group has never been as tight since his passing (cancer) a few years ago. A wonderful player, leader and gentleman.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Al,

I'm a new trumpet player with a burning desire to learn as much Dixieland Jazz as I possibly can. I've just taught myself Finale (what a program!) and am looking to get my hands on exactly what you were offering here 5 years ago. Would it be possible for me to have access to your Bb Dixieland (.mus) collection? Pelisse?

I realize this thread is 5 years old... but it can't hurt to ask!

Thanks,
Brad - Istanbul/NYC

I realize this thread is 5 years old, but hey this music is timeless!

hgrail,

If you don't have Finale, go here:

http://www.finalemusic.com/

and download the free Finale Notepad music notation editor.

Then go here:
http://www.alstevens.com/tunes/BbDixieCharts/

This folder has about 200 dixie tunes for Bb instruments in the Finale .MUS format. I can't vouch for all the changes because I haven't looked them all over. The ones I have looked at are reasonable.

You can right-click on any file and do a "save target as" to download the file.

Do this soon, because I won't be leaving these files online for long.

·
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is a great book if you can get a copy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts