Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to stock a good sax case that's made in the US. Anyone know of one or two?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,947 Posts
Looking to stock a good sax case that's made in the US. Anyone know of one or two?
Manning maybe ?

But how would you be able to verify it is made in the USA?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Manning is in the U.S., but those are custom fit to each horn on a special order basis - they want the horn in their shop.

Among the best cases that you can stock are Hiscox (made in England) and BAM (made in France).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,773 Posts
But how would you be able to verify it is made in the USA?
I suppose I can't verify on an individual case-by-case basis (get it??), but I've seen Mike's shop, seen the molds for the different case sizes and had a case made to fit my bass clarinet and stand (definitely custom and definitely done in Daly City, California).

Mike's a really nice guy with a ton of experience and I would absolutely recommend his work. My old Selmer 33 bass clarinet didn't fit well into any cases that I had tried, including a Wiseman, which required me to develop a system where I would stuff a bunch of foam blocks in around the horn the keep it immobilized. The Manning case keeps the instrument perfectly immobilized and is just about as compact as a Low C bass clarinet case could be. I only wish I'd sprung for the carbon fiber shell, but that's easy to say having not opted for that $700 upcharge.

It's protective, it has wheels, backpack straps, burly hardware and a lifetime warranty. It's pricey, but worth it if you have a valuable instrument that is a "keeper" and won't properly fit in a stock case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts