Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I started using Noteworthy Composer, I've been messing around with it a lot. Many unfinished projects, and one finished piano piece came out of it. My latest experiment in NWC, is a song with a glockenspiel, electric guitar, bass, and a synthesizer.
Anyway...I've been trying to think of lyrics to go with the song, and I can't. I was wondering, during the writing process, do lyrics or music come first? I'm sure it could be done either way, but what exactly would be easier?

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
I've written a lot of tunes. It happens in many ways. Sometimes it starts with a melody that needs words. Sometimes it's a story idea that becomes a poem in search of a melody. Sometimes the two happen together. So there is no one right way to do it.

Often a good lyric will suggest a change in the melody. Often a melody is so compelling, you change the lyric to fit it.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I've heard of writing both ways.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a few poems (from like years ago), but they just can't fit any melodies (they suck pretty bad). I haven't really had time to write new poems, what with school and all. I would do it during math but I need to pass math class. :D (Pfft, whoever said musicians were good at math was wrong!) I was thinking maybe I could find a friend with a few poems, and maybe I could try them if they were any good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,033 Posts
TH, Try to set E.E.Cummings to music. I could envision some pretty innovative ideas in meter and harmony with his material.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You can also go to the library and read centuries of poetry to see if you hear music when you follow the poems rythmn and form.Reading alot of actual song lyrics helps too,especially modern songs that are models for the style of your music,or that you can just relate to .Writers spend as much time on their craft as musicians,so colaborating is a good thing.Contemporary singers can be abstract and angst ridden and still find an audience that understands them,but expressing yourself honestly and simply rings true for listeners too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts