Adolphe Sax-CUN de Academie,Medaille Sor 1900,

84 RUE MYRHA PARIS, Made in France.

Also there was a (serial?) number: 14897

On the neck there is a text: MEDAILLE S'or1900

Which brand could this be? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Yes, I'm trying to keep up. Sorry for the delay :)

This horn is either an Adolphe Sax "Jr." horn (one made by Adolphe-Edward Sax, the son of the inventor of the saxophone, Antione-Joseph Sax) or an Adolphe Sax model made by the Selmer company.

To further complicate the issue, Adolphe-Edward Sax produced some saxophones for the Selmer company in the late 1920's right after the Selmer company purchased the Adolphe Sax workshop -- plus some horns had both Selmer and Sax serial numbers on them, which makes dating a little uncertian.

(I have pictures of a 1492x silver-plated alto with much of the inscription that yours has. Loose translation is, "For the music school of ..." The horn is an Adolphe Sax "Jr." model from around 1900-07. I have several others with similar inscriptions.)

Anyhow, "Medaille d'Or" is actually "Gold Medal [Winner]" for the Paris Exhibition in 1900. Couesnon was another winner.

For the horns produced under the aegis of Selmer, please see www.saxpics.com/selmer/selmer_sax.htm

For the horns produced by Adolphe-Edward himself (and those by Antione-Joseph), see www.saxpics.com/sax/index.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.