Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing tenor for around 5 years now and for the last 3 I have been contemplating the purchase of a soprano. I was just wondering about some recomendations about which brands fair better than others and which to avoid. For instance, my friend bought a cannonball curved soprano and had to send it back because the metal was extremely soft and warped his keys out of place. Basically so I can avoid things like that.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
One word: YANAGISAWA!

Moderators, you can close the thread now. Nothing else needs said. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
saxmanglen said:
One word: YANAGISAWA!

Moderators, you can close the thread now. Nothing else needs said. ;)
Or if you don't have that much money to spend, there's the Antigua Winds. It's said to be about 90% of the Yanagisawa at less than half the price. ;)

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
You can get some nice horns on E-bay, if you are on a budget, though they might need an overhaul. Kessler Custom has a good repuation here. so does AW

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Why settle for an immitation or a get by if you can have the REAL thing?

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,510 Posts
saxmanglen said:
Why settle for an immitation or a get by if you can have the REAL thing?
if 'ya don't have the $$$, 'ya can't get the real thing

I second the Yani, though if you don't have the dough a AW will do you pretty well. I never tried Kessler's latest sops.

of course, vintage Coufs, Vis, newer Series IIIs are all great instruments too

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,671 Posts
If money is not an issue, go for:

-Yani (especially curvies)
-Yamaha (62 or 62R)
-Rampone & Cazzani (my curvy is on sale right now, btw)
-Selmer

If money is a problem, go for the Antigua. You should check out the sale section here: lately, I have seen Yani S-6 and Vito (Yani-made) sops for very decent prices ($700-$1200).

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I second the Yanagisawa choice.

I own an SC991: it is easy blowing and has a lovely sound.

IMO Yanagisawa makes the best curvies today!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,862 Posts
I will sign on with the Antigua if you are on a budget. Also I think you really should consider the curved Cannonball Stone Series horn.

The soft keys warping out of place thing is nonsense....I had one, I am a no light weight and have a pretty firm grip, and "soft metal" is not even in the equation with these horns. Mine held up magnificently and I gigged with it quite often.
Whatever your friends problems with the Cannonball soprano were, they were not because of soft metal. Just guessing here, but it was probably because of it being poorly adjusted or he was just bloody rough with it in or out of the case.

The Antigua and CB are two of the best buys I know of.

If you can afford more scratch, go for a Yani or a Yamaha 62.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Another vote for yani, and you don't have to get one of their pro lines
to get a nice horn. After two years in denial, I've finally accepted that
my yani 900s sounds better than my Keilwerth SX90II.

- Michael

·
Banned
481 Posts
No question on this one the Yanagaisawa SS901. Best price & THE best horn at any price etc. Stay away from horns made in Europe (way over-priced because of the "fallen dollar") and Tiawan/China clones (poor re-sale). Just my opinion from one who has owned 6 different sopranos in the last 42 years

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,671 Posts
Houston -

You are right about the dollar's depreciation against the Euro: I paid for my RC curvy in Euros and am hurting as I try to sell it in dollar and have to take a big loss because it is a used horn - even though it is in as-new conditions.

I have learned my lesson the hard way ;-( !

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
So much depends on budget. The problem is that sops can be dogs, and the cheaper models especially so. Therefore avoid all student models if you can.

If you are willing to buy secondhand, be patient and watch SOTW; something will come up fairly soon at a decent price for your pocket.

No-one has mentioned vintage saxes: Bueschers (which I play) and Martins can usually be relied on. I have no argument with the recommendations to date though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey thanks for the recommendations guys this helped a lot and Randall, it wasn't because of soft metal I just said that because I wasn't sure what happened but something about it was defective to make the keys shift.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts