Sax on the Web Forum banner

Which baritone sax have you purchased in the last 10 years?

• NEW Selmer Paris Series II or Series III

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • NEW Yanagisawa B901/BWO1 or B902/BWO2

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • NEW Yanagisawa B991/BWO10 or B992/BWO20 or B993x/BWO3x

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • NEW Yamaha YBS-52/YBS-480

• NEW Yamaha YBS-62 or YBS-82

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • NEW Keilwerth SX90

• NEW P. Mauriat or Cannonball (any model)

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • NEW Selmer USA or Jupiter (any model)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • NEW Kessler Solist or WW&BW Allora/Woodwind or Get A Sax Nova

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • NEW Other (specify in comments)

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • USED (any brand or model)

Votes: 66 72.5%
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This survey is mostly about buying brand-new baritone saxophones, but there's a "Used" option as well for comparative purposes. You can select up to three choices, if you've actually bought three baritone saxes in the last 10 years. Feel free to add more details in the comments.

·
Registered
YTS-82Z, B-992, ‘Crat 1 alto
1,176 Posts
I bought new, only because I could not find any decent used baritones for sale; the ones I did find were all fairly high priced (Yamaha and Yanagisawa) or in crappy condition. I did, however, get a great deal on the new b991 I purchased.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,705 Posts
9 years ago this month a bought a 1938 Buescher Aristocrat model 139 .

It's a more rare version to locate and was only made for a few years in the mid to late 30s,
if I remember correctly .

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Lightly used YBS-62II for a really good price in early 2020.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,499 Posts
...as an aside, I don't believe "Selmer USA" is actually a moniker which exists any longer, although we still seem to use the name regularly...

Selmer USA became The Selmer Company in the 90's, which then became Conn-Selmer when Selmer Co. was merged with UMI in the early 2000's ..if memory serves (?)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,984 Posts
Selmer USA is still used. Perhaps only to differentiate from Selmer Paris, but it stays in use. But the only bari they made after 1964 was the Buescher-type. It can be found under Selmer USA, Bundy and Buescher.
The reason I bought a new Kessler Solist rather than a used 'whatever' was the probability of paying $2000 for the horn and then having to spend another $1200 on an overhaul. Used baritones are notorious 'money-pits'. So I've been using the Kessler since 2015 and have hardly had to do anything to it, and what little it has needed I can do. I only double on bari so it has relatively few hours on it.
In fact, I have to get that horn out soon because I'm supposed to be learning 'One Fine Day' by the Chiffons for one of my groups and it has that nice little bari solo in it. I've been playing it on tenor at practice and the key is different from the record, so I just need to get it out and make sure of what I'm doing on it. I have it in my head but you need to get it under the fingers too.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I purchased 2, both used. A Selmer Mark VI Low-Bb and a Jupiter JBS-593 in Black Lacquer. I ended up putting both up for consignment a year ago when moved since I knew I wasn't really going to have time to play them nor the room for them anymore.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I included my B992 purchased new around 2005 as well as a used Low Bb Barone bari that I've had for 7-8 years now. What are you wondering about LC that prompted the poll??

·
Registered
593 Posts
Bought my 1st bari, a 50s 12M. Bought an Eastern Music big red dragon for kicks. Well, the horn was red and it had a gold dragon, but big red dragon for short. Sold both when I got a Magna, and life was good.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What are you wondering about LC that prompted the poll?
You've seen the current threads here about shopping for a new top-tier baritone. I became curious about how often people are buying new baris at all, and what they're getting. I myself bought a new Solist recently. I never gave serious consideration to buying something like a new Yany, since for me the baritone is my "quadruple" on sax. But it's interesting to see a snapshot of the larger market.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
You've seen the current threads here about shopping for a new top-tier baritone. I became curious about how often people are buying new baris at all, and what they're getting. I myself bought a new Solist recently. I never gave serious consideration to buying something like a new Yany, since for me the baritone is my "quadruple" on sax. But it's interesting to see a snapshot of the larger market.
Fair enough - are you guessing that the majority of new Yani, Yamaha, and Selmer baris are being purchased by organizations like schools and military bands as opposed to individuals??

·
Registered
S: SA II. A+T: Martin HC1 T: Mark VI A:39 King Zephyr B: Martin HC imperial
127 Posts
I was recently in market for a new to me Bari. I could afford to buy a new Big-4 Bari, but it is hard to rationalize spending for a new Selmer Bari. Of all the choices the Yanagisawa BWO1 is pretty compelling for a new horn if you look at value for money.

I think that the quandary with new Baris purchasing I is that

1). Low production rates. Eg. 5% of mark VI were Bari. This requires each unit to have a heftier markup to cover R&D Cost.
2). Biggest buyer is probably schools and other organizations which are less price sensitive than individual buyers.
3. Big 4 manufacturers will not cannibalizes this revenue stream by lowering prices to sell more to individuals.
4. #2 results in steady supply of beat up horns needing $1500 overhauls for the used market which makes individuals hesitant to buy these.
5. To further compound the situation modern ensemble playing “necessitates” a low-A Bari which eliminates the vast majority of horns made before 1970.
6. All of this results in tough decisions if you need/want a Low-A Bari.
7. When you finally pull the trigger you are likely to buy a new or reconditioned horn and view as a lifetime purchase that you will never sale.
8. #7 minimize the number of well cared for horns and keeps feeding the cycle.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fair enough - are you guessing that the majority of new Yani, Yamaha, and Selmer baris are being purchased by organizations like schools and military bands as opposed to individuals??
That could very well be true, but I don't think this survey will produce data to support that hypothesis, since we are getting responses from individuals rather than purchasing agents. If there's a proposition for which I was seeking evidence, it's probably along the lines of, "The main reason that stores seem to stock few baritone saxes these days is that players don't buy many brand-new baritone saxes." So far, after 36 votes, we're at 75% used and 25% new. Now, a similar ratio could apply to the other saxophone voices too, since used horns are a good value, and therefore popular, across the board. But the absolute numbers are probably significantly higher for those voices. When the retail market is small to begin with, it has even more of an impact when buyers strongly prefer used products to new ones.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,153 Posts
I really wish I still had the Phil Barone-itone I bought new from him in 2012. Incredibly nice instrument! Paired nicely with the Vandoren V16 B7.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
That could very well be true, but I don't think this survey will produce data to support that hypothesis, since we are getting responses from individuals rather than purchasing agents. If there's a proposition for which I was seeking evidence, it's probably along the lines of, "The main reason that stores seem to stock few baritone saxes these days is that players don't buy many brand-new baritone saxes." So far, after 36 votes, we're at 75% used and 25% new. Now, a similar ratio could apply to the other saxophone voices too, since used horns are a good value, and therefore popular, across the board. But the absolute numbers are probably significantly higher for those voices. When the retail market is small to begin with, it has even more of an impact when buyers strongly prefer used products to new ones.
Sure - I'd buy that, although I often find myself agreeing with the arguments you make when it comes to the sort of economics of sax playing. It makes me wonder if at some point in the last 10-20 years we entered a kind of negative feedback loop when it comes to baris. As they get more expensive fewer people are inclined to buy new ones and as fewer people buy new they get more expensive yet causing even fewer people to buy them, etc...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
1964 Conn 12m closet queen, with no neck. It looked like someone had checked it on a plane shortly after it was new and set it aside rather than repair it. The low Eb was damaged, but otherwise it was pretty pristine. I got two necks for it and spent a couple h

1 - 20 of 94 Posts