Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a new bari as my original one is very old, a bit dodgy -tuning and keywork-wise and certainly not good enough for the project I am going to be involved in (see my other thread "Miking The Bari" http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?154076-Miking-the-Bari&p=1600462&posted=1#post1600462 )

So I am planning a trip to Sax.co.uk today as it is the last day of their sale. I really like the look of the Keilwerth SX90R Shadow Baritone to Low A shown here.

http://www.sax.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh0000...=Baritone_Saxophones.html#a1_211247#a1_211247

I wonder what people here think? It seems a great price (nearly 10 grand down to 5) but I wonder why the huge reduction? Is there something I should know about this sax? Is it the colour that puts people off? I think it looks great and as I'm not playing in a section have no worries about sticking out visually. What do people think of the other saxes on offer?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,766 Posts
That is nice! I've never played a Keilwerth but they are highly regarded and it sure looks like that one's priced to sell. Bring your mouthpiece and put it through the paces and I'll bet you'll know pretty quick if it's got your name on it. Have fun!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi there, I guess you've pretty much decided on a new one? That's a lot of dosh to have tied up in a horn. Try the Yam 32/62 while you're there-I play a second hand 62 with a Lawton 6* BB, and it's pretty much all I could want, but I know guys who play the 32 and are equally happy. Another guy I know plays a Yani 901 (?) or equivalent, and rates it as a good solid horn. Having a horn that cost that much would make me very nervous, and I reckon baris are far more likely to get scratched and dinged-playing out, I find I've rarely got enough space, and theres always a p.a, cab, table or chair to knock it on!
Enjoy!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Looking forward to hearing the outcome of your search.

From what you wrote in your post, it almost sounds like you have this choice made up in your mind. Hopefully while you were there you tried a number of bari's. That's part of the fun of shopping! :) You've played bari, so you know a lot of the stuff that really matters... The low end has to be big (and most baris are good at this), I find that the upper end of baris tends to vary (for me at least) more drastically than the low end in both tone pitch. If I were shopping at a store this is part of the horn I'd definitely scrutinize.

All that said, Keilwerths are nice instruments and have great sounds to'em! They have a premium price tag to go along with'em as well! IMHO, I'd only get one if I were primarily a bari player AND if it were at a good price. I agree with mpjbiker in that the yamaha offerings are more than adequate for most individuals. The 62s are pro horns with nice construction and the 52s/32s are decent intermediate horns. The both have good sound to them and offer what most consider one of the nicest Low-A mechanisms in the business.

The other route to take may be the Taiwanese route. Others on this site will be able to help you more. I've only played a Cannonball Bari, and that was quite a nice horn (would trade my Weltklang for it!).

Hope you enjoyed play testing!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi - again you seem to have decided on your horn, but thought I'd chip in - I play a selmer SA80 series II low A, fantastic horn, there's one for sale here for £4K, and a mark vi also advertised for £4.5K - might be worth a look.
http://misales.com/
go to the sax section.
good luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
I've renovated (and finished in black lacquer, very striking!) two Selmer Signet low-A baris in the last couple of months. Both of them play very well and are built like tanks (they weigh a ton). The only serious design flaw with these, in my opinion, is a very flimsy bell-to-body brace --- I added substantial reinforcement to the braces on both of my instruments. They do have the Paris Selmer-style adjustable slotted rollers for setting the heights/travel of the bell keys, which I don't particularly care for as they are somewhat non-intuitive and a bit of a pain to regulate, but once set up properly, they seem to work fine. My two baris play identically, nice big sound and excellent intonation.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My son is a sax major in a div I college. He plays bari in symphony band. He is a Phil Barone user. It's a really nice horn, has great intonation and projection. He also has a P Barone alto and soprano. His main tenors are his Mk VI, a P Mauriat 66R, and a Buffet Superdyne. We've gotten the PB's at different times, you know we would have not bought another if we didn't like one. But they've been great right out of the box. My son tries a couple of mouthpieces, settles on one, and just loves it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.