Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I would like to play in most cases saxophone (sopran, alto, tenor) on busking events or for example in gardenparties. Now I look for an amp which has batteries/accu and enough power.

Futher instruments which I play are: EWI, keyboard/stagepiano. Sometimes together with a singer or guitarist.

Which amp do you recommend?

In one busking event the organizer/host allows a amp with maximum of watt. Therefore I looked on products from Roland and LD systems. For example: Roland Cube Street EX or Roland BA-330. Another would be LD Systems Roadman, but with more than the allowed watt.

What do you think?

Thanks and kind regards
misterfunkysax

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Battery-operated will require some compromises, usually in volume and lasting power. If those are important, an alternative is to pickup a portable power supply with a 120v outlet, and use it to power a standard amp, like a Roland Cube 80.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,860 Posts
Agree with the "keyboard amp" and if at all possible, one with a 15" speaker and tweeter. Yes I know it will be heavy (80-85lbs) but it will give you all you the sound quality and mic inputs needed for all the instruments you plan to use plus the vocals. Roland makes a good one with wheels. Also, the "older" Peavey KB/300/A does an excellent job with some built in reverb and you can add wheels. And there are many others.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
If I had the dough, I'd probably consider a Roland Cube Street EX. 50 watts and battery powered. Roland makes a very good keyboard amp, the KC-110 that I'd like to try, as well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If I had the dough, I'd probably consider a Roland Cube Street EX. 50 watts and battery powered. Roland makes a very good keyboard amp, the KC-110 that I'd like to try, as well.
I've used the Cube Street EX for two years and it is great, both for busking and small gigs. It won't distort, even at high volume.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Will the Cube accommodate backing tracks as well as a mic?
(And, are we talking the 2 channel or 4 channel model?)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
We use an older version of this setup from Carvin - http://carvinaudio.com/collections/s600

We rarely use it on battery power so I don't know how well or how long it works just on the battery but it's proven to be very handy and reliable. It works well for small groups in relatively small rooms when you need a few inputs. That being said you'll likely get better sound, especially in lower frequencies, with a good keyboard amp that has a 12 or 15 inch woofer for synths and keyboards as John suggests.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,340 Posts
Crate Limo is best.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Will the Cube accommodate backing tracks as well as a mic?
(And, are we talking the 2 channel or 4 channel model?)
GT...two mics and a stereo input for tracks (Street Cube Ex). It's a four channel stereo unit with built in effects. The smaller Street Cube is only 5W but the EX is 50W. 

·
Registered
249 Posts
I use a Roland BA330 for those sorts of gigs - phono inputs, 4 channels, delay or reverb. 30Watts so its reasonably loud. Runs on mains or AAs (8 of them in a little caddy - I use rechargeables). IT also has a little kick stand to tilt is up a bit which avoids needing a speaker stand in many situations.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,152 Posts
Look at Rolands AC series - they have a 30/60/ and a 90watt model. I use one sometimes as a stage monitor and love it. It's easier to carry than the BA and both the 60 and 90 will get just as loud. The newer ones are battery operated as well I think. If you're near atlanta, I have both a ba 330 and a AC60 for sale. I never use the BA, and I have two of the AC 60's, so one needs to go...

Be advised that these are marketed as mini PA's for acoustic guitar players. Just like keyboard amps - acoustic (Not electric) guitar amps will cover all the spectrum you need for a saxophone. I especially like them because they have EQ, and rudimentary effects as well as XLR Mic inputs....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you very much for information about different amp solutions. During my research I found the following amp. But I think the frequency range is not enough for bariton saxophone: http://www.stuffandthings.co.uk/pa_and_mp3.htm I'm especially interested in M4K.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Further I will look on keyboard amps. Because of the frequency range.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,662 Posts
Understood. When I think of busking, I imagine the lone player with their open case as their only accompaniment. I suppose you do see more buskers... whether on sax, trumpet or violin... using canned music tracks.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
you might also look at powered speakers like the B208D or B210D. Obviously not battery powered but there are ways around that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts